Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Why You Should Buy An E-Reader

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

Why You Should Buy An E-Reader

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Sat August 28th, 2010, 3:58 pm

I'd like to offer the other side of the story. You should buy an e-reader to get access to the hundreds if not thousands of books out there that are no longer in print. I extend an invitation to anyone considering an e-reader to spend some time at a FREE site & just look all the offerings. Yes, many, many of them are older books, but what could be more helpful to someone researching or writing about a particular time than having books available from the time period? You get a real sense of the cultural attitudes, language, etc. through these older writings. Best of all,they're free! For instance, anyone researching World War I can find many out-of-print works of first-hand accounts written during that time period. Perhaps the known facts have been updated, but the sense of atmosphere & attitude pervading these works can't be found in more modern texts. Isn't THIS what a historical fiction author strives for, authenticity to the time, place, & society of his/her story?
Yes, the classics are certainly available, too, so grab all you want. I just wanted to point out the valuable research material & delightful reading that can be had for free through an e-reader without ever leaving your home.
I'll step down now & offer my particular favorite source:
http://manybooks.net/

Enjoy,
Alvin
Last edited by G. Alvin Simons on Sat August 28th, 2010, 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Spelling

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat August 28th, 2010, 9:34 pm

That's half of what finally got me. I was waiting for the DRM issues to settle out, but the pure convenience of all my research texts in the same spot as my WIP and any other PDFs I cared to download, when crossed with that $139 price reduction--- well, I bought.

Now if it would only arrive before I head out for Spain...

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Sun August 29th, 2010, 2:13 pm

MLE,
I hope that it does because I know you'll love it. One quick tip: to prolong the battery charge, turn off the wireless until you want to download something. Also, be sure to follow the directions for switching it off when finished. Yes, it does go into a sleep mode after a few minutes of nonuse, but that still draws current. By doing these things, I've been able to make my charge last for over a week.

I hope you enjoy Spain,
Alvin

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Thu September 9th, 2010, 9:46 pm

I've been considering an e-reader, mostly because I'm running out of space for books in my little house. I'm wondering what brand everyone is using. I have friends divided between Kindle and Nook.

What are you using?

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

Kindle

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Tue September 14th, 2010, 8:43 pm

Rocky Girl,
I have a Kindle. I listed my reasons for buying one in Kenny's e-reader questions thread. I'd suggest anyone considering a Kindle to visit Amazon & watch the video. It's what convinced me.
I hope that you enjoy whatever you purchase,
Alvin

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Tue September 14th, 2010, 9:53 pm

Thanks for the info, Alvin!

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Fri December 17th, 2010, 12:29 am

I bought a color nook two weeks ago, and I am loving it. The images are very sharp. A read advantage is getting the NYT daily, as there are no deliveries up here, and the price is the stores is far over the cover price.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Fri December 17th, 2010, 10:59 am

I haven't used Manybooks.net much. I love archive.org - they have all the stuff on Gutenberg plus more. I have found some great old history books there.

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

Thanks, Mythica

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Fri December 17th, 2010, 1:28 pm

I'll check that site out, too. Judging from the other thread, it seems as if there's DOZENS of reasons not to buy an e-reader & few reasons to buy one. To each his own, I guess.

Alvin

Return to “Chat”