Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Why you shouldn't buy an e reader

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun September 5th, 2010, 12:39 am

Over 20 years ago I decided to try giving up reading for pleasure, to see if I could. It lasted a couple of months, and I just wasn't right.
OMG - no way I could have lasted that long! You have stamina, girl.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun September 5th, 2010, 12:49 am

I would simply curl up and die without books! As soon as I am finished with one, I'm onto the next one.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun September 5th, 2010, 1:07 am

[quote=""LoobyG""]That beautiful smell of new books is one of my chief pleasures in setting foot in Waterstones, I wish some inspired perfume manufacturer would bottle it [/quote]

I remember LOVING the smell of bookstores when I was young. But nowadays when I walk into a bookstore I smell..... nothing. :( Is it just me? Or is it because today's bookstores are behemoths (where the smell is more dispersed ) as compared to the much smaller bookstores of yesteryear? Or is it because they now use unscented glue or something in the production process?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun September 5th, 2010, 3:05 am

Well to be honest, I suspect half of what we were smelling was dust; lots of those used places my dad took me to were not the most organized or the cleanest. But it is a smell I associate with books and bookstores.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun September 5th, 2010, 4:17 am

Actually, I was talking about the smell of new books. I used to love the smell in B. Dalton and J.K. Gill when I was a kid. But when I walk in Borders or Barnes & Noble now I don't detect even a whiff of it........

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun September 5th, 2010, 11:03 am

My local Waterstone's used to smell of spilt milk - yuk! Now however it doesn't really smell of anything.

I love that smell which I think is a combination of dust, and wooden floors, especially if they've just been varnished. Not many shops like that around now though.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sun September 5th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Maybe I have a very sensitive nose lol! But my Waterstones definitely has that whiff of new books, not as strong as it once was - I think you're right Michy about it being dispersed in larger shops. But it's there :) the dusty smell of old books, while I'm fond of it, is not so pleasant in large quantities...

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun September 5th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Better ventilation systems probably make a big difference in whether or not a store has a bookish smell.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue September 7th, 2010, 3:42 am

I do miss it.... Not the smell of old books (which is ok in small doses), but the sharp, distinctive smell of new books...... I can still remember the way my brand-new science textbook smelled in first grade. It was the only thing I liked about science! :p

annis
Bibliomaniac

E-books and poetry

Post by annis » Tue September 7th, 2010, 3:57 am

Not necessarily a reason not to buy an e-book, but I was intrigued by poet Billy Collins' unhappy discovery that poetry doesn't translate well to e-book, losing the structure which is so significant to the reader's perception and understanding of the poet's message. As he says, it's a bit like showing a sculpture in bits and expecting the viewer to recognize its original form.

Article here:
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/18/1 ... poems.html

Return to “Chat”