Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

When and where do you read

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun September 7th, 2008, 12:57 pm

After I get home from work and have completed any absolutely necessary housework that can't be put off until the next day, I curl up in an oversized armchair with ottoman and read for the entire evening there. Sometimes I have a cable news show in the background or else I have an XM satellite station on. I rarely read in silence.

Right now it's a lovely cool Sunday morning and as soon as I sign off, I'll pick up my book and continue reading where I am in a wrought iron chair on my deck, sipping coffee and listening to birds chirp and to insects making strange pulsating sounds. The Blue Ridge mountain range is slightly hazy across the valley and I suspect it will be another hot afternoon.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sun September 7th, 2008, 1:06 pm

At the moment, I tend to have two books on the go. One is for reading in bed, or if the boys give me a chance during the day. The other is in Joel's room for when I am breastfeeding him. He is very interested in books though and he likes to hit reach out and touch and stratch at them, and if he isn't hungery or tired enough, he will want to sit up and have a look at the book. So I have to feed him for a bit and then pick the right moment for when it is safe to pick up a book.

Before the boys, I would pretty much take a book with me anywhere. I took one to work everyday, to read in the lunch break, if I took one, or sometimes we had to go out to other places for things and you could be waiting around a bit so it always paid to take a book.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun September 7th, 2008, 1:19 pm

Anytime, anywhere, anyplace! :D Whilst eating my breakfast and lunch and usually in the evenings and in bed. I take my book out and about with me just in case I have an opportunity to read. If a book is particularly engrossing, I have been known to read whilst cooking and walking the dogs!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 7th, 2008, 2:13 pm

I read whenever I can. Not married and no kids outside of Misfit the kittycat so most of my free time is devoted to reading (or reading this board :p ). After work and on weekends I'm firmly planted on my favorite sofa with book in hand, I rarely watch much TV outside of the news. In bed, usually only when I'm having trouble sleeping and then I'll pick up a book hoping I'll be ready to nod off soon, although it's usually the opposite and I'm stuck in the book until it's time to head off to work. I also read whilst doing cardio now that I've found the flipklip to keep the book open. Having the book there makes the cardio go so much faster :) :)

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun September 7th, 2008, 2:22 pm

>I can't read in a car or on a bus or anything.

Thats just like my husband. So when we go on trips, he drives, and I read. Heaven for me anyway! (he actually doesn't mind driving which is a good thing)

Funny how many people read in bed. When I try, I fall asleep. Much better for me in a rocking chair or recliner, or swing

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun September 7th, 2008, 3:33 pm

I can read on an airplane, but not on a car or bus. I get sick. :(
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sun September 7th, 2008, 3:37 pm

My book reading is largely done while commuting (about 40 minutes each way) and while eating my lunch at work.

My reading time at home (in bed, in the bath and while, em, sitting) is largely for newspapers etc.

PS. I also get sick reading on the bus and in the car. I'm OK on the train and the plane, though.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun September 7th, 2008, 7:58 pm

I deliberately choose not to read at lunchtime because if I get caught up in the book, two hours will pass before I realise!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun September 7th, 2008, 10:42 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]I deliberately choose not to read at lunchtime because if I get caught up in the book, two hours will pass before I realise![/quote]

I eat lunch at my desk most of the work week and learned years ago to not bring a good book to work to read for lunch hour. I'll slip it into the center drawer of my desk and continue to surreptitiously read it on and off all afternoon instead of concentrating on work. Then I feel SO guilty. Therefore, I will not bring a book to work anymore because I have absolutely no willpower ro resist a good story.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Grasshopper
Scribbler

Post by Grasshopper » Mon September 8th, 2008, 12:44 am

I read anywhere.

Work, home, bed, easychair, car (not while driving ;) ), restaurant, in front of TV if my wife is watching something I don't like, outside in the evening...

Pretty much anywhere.

Return to “Chat”