Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bag a book

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Sat July 31st, 2010, 4:39 pm

I truly don't understand how men live without purses/bags. Back in the day, didn't men have 'scrips' or pouches of some sort at their waist that they wore all the time? I bet they held a lot more than a back pocket. I guess the briefcase is a substitute.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sat July 31st, 2010, 8:29 pm

I think this is an awesome idea, especially for a regular traveller on the train. I might just have to get my sister one for Christmas ;) I think most men just carry a wallet, mobile phone and keys and then they're set to go! My boyfriend often sneaks things into my handbag though... :rolleyes:

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Post by robinbird79 » Sat July 31st, 2010, 8:33 pm

I throw an extra diaper in my bag sometimes! Beats carrying in a heavy diaper bag that you're not going to need!
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun August 1st, 2010, 1:30 am

[quote=""SarahWoodbury""]I truly don't understand how men live without purses/bags. [/quote]

There is a trend towards "man purses," I think they're called. I don't see them used here where I live, but when I've travelled to other places I've seen them quite a bit.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun August 1st, 2010, 10:31 am

I think "man bags" were popular on mainland Europe for a time, not sure about now, for of course we now have the ubiquitous rucksack which seems to do the job.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sun August 1st, 2010, 9:19 pm

[quote=""SarahWoodbury""]I truly don't understand how men live without purses/bags. Back in the day, didn't men have 'scrips' or pouches of some sort at their waist that they wore all the time? I bet they held a lot more than a back pocket. I guess the briefcase is a substitute.[/quote]

Many of them have wives/girlfriends. I know at one point I had to buy a bigger purse for the specific purpose of holding my daughter's crap as well as my husbands any time we all went anywhere. He would always hand me his keys, wallet, sunglasses and cell phone. As my purses kept getting bigger and bigger, they kept finding more stuff for me to carry for them. Several years ago i put a stop to it and told them it was time they carried their own crap!

The "man bags" reminds me of that episode of Friends where Joey got one - it didn't go over so well!

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Tue April 19th, 2011, 2:30 am

Did anyone end up buying a "Bag a book"? If so, are they being used?
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue April 19th, 2011, 9:04 am

They're very nice aren't they? I wonder if the price has changed, and how many got sold?

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Tue April 19th, 2011, 9:10 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]They're very nice aren't they? I wonder if the price has changed, and how many got sold?[/quote]

Oh they are indeed! And they cost about 19 pounds on Amazon.
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue April 19th, 2011, 9:15 am

That's not bad for what looks like a pretty good quality bag.

Return to “Chat”