Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

About those *friend* invites from Authors at Goodreads

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

About those *friend* invites from Authors at Goodreads

Post by Misfit » Sun July 18th, 2010, 2:55 pm

No, I'm not talking about the authors we already know here, I am wondering about those out of the wild blue yonder friend invites from authors with absolutely nothing in common with me or my reading tastes. Paranormal, erotic romance, Christian you name it. I had one I kept ignoring and he kept sending them until I blocked him. I don't want them mucking up my feeds with activity and books that are of no interest to me :mad:

Anyone know why they would do this? Is there some promotional benefit to them? Or is it just a mad desire to have more friends than anyone else?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun July 18th, 2010, 11:50 pm

My guess is that it is purely promotional. The more contacts they have the more likely someone will buy their latest book. They may think they look more popular and professional if they have a lot of friends, by the mistaken concept that friends = fans.

And they want access to all the people who follow prolific reviewers. If you accept the friend request, they are "cool by association," for lack of a better term.

Return to “Chat”