Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Travled to other countries? I need your help.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat June 26th, 2010, 7:23 pm

As to traveling overseas -- I went in October of last year.

Take your meds, small necessities, and documents in your carryon -- everything else into the check-on. You won't be needing a pillow when you fly. I packed my small check-in bag into my larger check-in, as I -knew- I would be bringing all sorts of goodies back.

Definitely take the drivers license with you, you may be asked for both, especially when coming back into the US. I had one of those nifty loop-it-around your neck security pouches for my money, credit card, and documents -- made it so much easier to hand stuff over.

I'm sure you've already looked here, but it has oodles of good info:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/tips_1232.html

Oh yes, and bring your patience for dealing with Fiumicino airport (I'm guessing you're flying in and out of Rome)

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat June 26th, 2010, 8:00 pm

[quote=""Ash""]I often think as I am standing in line, that the terrorists have won. At the very least, they are laughing their heads off.[/quote]

My husband and I were flying back from Paris, France the day the plot was discovered to blow up planes out of England with a explosives disguised as a variety of carry on liquids. We were held in the airport for hours. Our checked luggage and carry on was searched multiple times. We weren't allowed to carry ANY liquids onto the flight, which really ticked off the merchants in the Duty Free area - no wine, no water, no perfume sales - they lost a bundle that day. Luckily, they now allow you to carry on anything you buy after you pass through security.

As to extra luggage, I like to bring along a soft duffel bag that doesn't take up much space in the checked luggage. I stuff it with my dirty clothes for the trip back, which frees up my suitcase for goodies.

And yes, take anything you absolutely can not afford to lose - documents, meds, camera, money - in carry on. Turkish Air lost our family's suitcase (but not the duffel full of dirty clothes!) We got it back three months later.

Have a great trip!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat June 26th, 2010, 11:53 pm

I am flying into Rome :) Thanks for the tip!

I am looking at the gov's website right now. So I'm checking things out.

I'm still going to bring myown pillow though. Its not a big one, but a small one that can fit into my backpack. I'm also bringing my own blanket because its mine and I know that its clean. Sorry I'm a freak like that!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun June 27th, 2010, 1:25 am

You will LOVE Rome! It's awesome! I had camera failure when I was there :( (that was before I had a digital), so someday I have to go back and re-take all the pictures that didn't turn out with the disposables I was forced to use.

How long will you be there?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun June 27th, 2010, 1:58 am

I see nothing wrong with bringing your own pillow and blanket. The ones the airline gives are junk, and I agree, you really don't know how well they are cleaned. You might also bring eye shades and ear plugs.

On international trips, I take a copy of my birth certificate and take an extra copy of my passport picture, should the passport get lost (obviously don't keep it with your passport!)

We also bring a small duffle or backpack to carry things home in. We pack it in with the big suitcase to check in, then use it as one of our carry on bags on the trip home. We also bring books and clothing that we might not necessarily keep when we go home. We take these to local thrift stores (Oxfam is a good one), so we have more room to store new goodies!

Oh, if you get a chance, go to Ostia Antica, the old Roman harbour; fascinating stuff, similar to Pompeii in terms of ruins. If you have time to take trips outside, go to Piza and Oviento.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun June 27th, 2010, 2:48 am

I'll be in Italy for 6 days.

Its a tour so we'll be heading to the Vatican and then I have a free day in Rome. We go to Florence and Siena and we head to Pisa. I am also going to Monaco. I'm not thrilled about Monaco.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun June 27th, 2010, 3:32 am

I went to Rome only, but I loved it. You could spend days and days there, there is so much to see. Especially if you're an art lover, which I am.

I didn't really want to go to the Vatican; as I'm not Catholic, I wasn't interested. But the group I was with were all going, so I went. And I have to say, it is not-to-be-missed. St. Peter's is absolutely breathtaking.

Pssst - one of the things that I found distinctive about Rome was the MEN! None of them were handsome, when you really looked at them, but they had such an aura about them. It's hard to explain, but you'll see what I mean. ;) It's one of the things that told me I wasn't in the States anymore. Totally different from American men! (no offense, guys!) :o

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun June 27th, 2010, 4:42 am

The Vatican was incredible for me for two reasons: The Sistine Chapel, and the Map room. The rest I probably could have skipped.

Be careful in Rome - you take your life in your hands as a pedestrian. Watch out for the vespas that are ridden along the sidewalk, and don't depend on the stop lights or traffic signals; drivers regularly ignore them.

One of the most amazing sites in Rome for me was the San Clemente Church. The tour will take you down several levels, including the 9th century church and 3rd-century Mithraeum (Temple of Mithras). There are other place like this in Rome and elsewhere in Italy, but this one was probably the best and most interesting.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sun June 27th, 2010, 9:17 am

[quote=""Michy""]I went to Rome only, but I loved it. You could spend days and days there, there is so much to see. Especially if you're an art lover, which I am.

I didn't really want to go to the Vatican; as I'm not Catholic, I wasn't interested. But the group I was with were all going, so I went. And I have to say, it is not-to-be-missed. St. Peter's is absolutely breathtaking.

Pssst - one of the things that I found distinctive about Rome was the MEN! None of them were handsome, when you really looked at them, but they had such an aura about them. It's hard to explain, but you'll see what I mean. ;) It's one of the things that told me I wasn't in the States anymore. Totally different from American men! (no offense, guys!) :o [/quote]

Michy, heres a nice article for you :-)
http://www.theonion.com/articles/europe ... ric,11552/

I used to live in Rome (in Trestevere and later opposite the Pantheon) and its still my favourite city. After living there for 2 years i still didnt see everything.

Two little tips of places that people often miss. the Museo Borgese is the best tiny museum i could imagine, every room has a bernini statue or carravaggio. an artistic experience second to none.

also the bone church at the bottom of via tritone. its very hard to find but well worth it. it has 4 rooms where every piece of decoration in the room was made from the bones of dead monks. very macabre.

but for me the best memory of Rome is that I met my wife there :-)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun June 27th, 2010, 10:35 am

What a lovely story Keny, that you met your wife in Rome...aah!

Divia, another hint re essential documents ie passports, driving licence, insurance cert is to take copies of these docs, scan them into a PC and email them to yourself; that way, if they do go missing somehow, all you need to do is hook up to your email and print off the copies.

Have a fab time, Siena is gorgeous (the cathedral is worth a visit and try to see the library with the illustrated manuscripts), however do try to pace yourself especially in Rome - I found the Vatican particularly shattering and was so whacked that by the time I got to the Sistine Chapel I couldn't really appreciate it - I just wanted some air!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Chat”