Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

King Tut alert!

Telynor
Bibliophile

King Tut alert!

Post by Telynor » Wed May 19th, 2010, 4:31 am

For all of you Egyptophiles out there, the latest issue of KMT magazine has a very lengthy article about the DNA evidence on King Tut's ancestors, and children. Very good, very interesting, and one helluva discovery about King Tut's mother that really upsets the apple cart. Not to mention as to a possible identification of the mummy of Ankhesenamun, his queen. Lots of pictures too.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu May 20th, 2010, 12:29 am

No fair. What discovery? Apple carts of the world take cover!

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu May 20th, 2010, 12:47 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]No fair. What discovery? Apple carts of the world take cover![/quote]

Well, the mother of King Tut was always thought to be a secondary, non-royal wife of Akhenaten. But the DNA work up on the Younger Lady mummy found in KV35 not only linked her to Tut as his mother, but also revealed that she was the full sister of the mummy found in KV55. That could be either Akhenaten or Smenkhare.

It gets even more interesting when you look at the Elder Lady mummy -- she's the mother of both KV35YL and KV55, and so the grandmother of Tutankhamun. DNA workup on her has led archaeologists to id her as Queen Tiye, wife of Amunhotep III. So -- there are four daughters that are mentioned that possible candidates for the Younger Lady -- Sitamun, Henebutawy, Nebetiah, and Baketaten.

Finally, the DNA on the two fetuses found in Tut's tomb reveal that they are children of Tut, and the mummy id as KV21-A, which may or may not be Ankhesenamun.

So there's plenty of controversy about these discoveries. I can only imagine the conversation between Akhenaten and Nefertiti when he told her he was marrying his fully royal sister to try and get a male heir...

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu May 20th, 2010, 7:25 pm

I see. Add a dog and a pickup and you've got a redneck love story.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu May 20th, 2010, 11:58 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]I see. Add a dog and a pickup and you've got a redneck love story.[/quote]

Oh no kidding! (Thanks for making me spray tea all over the keyboard!) But yes, that's pretty much it. The 18th dynasty pretty much inbred itself to an end. Scoliosis, club feet and palate problems are rampant in the mummies that were tested. They managed to inject some fresh genes when Tiye married Amunhotep III, but then the next two generations intermarried, and that was pretty much it. The last generation didn't have a chance at all.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Fri May 21st, 2010, 3:41 am

It was a great article, Telynor. The Discovery Channel paid $1 million to have a DNA lab built in the Cairo Museum, and I imagine there are going to be quite a few eye-opening discoveries coming out of there.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri May 21st, 2010, 5:48 am

[quote=""michellemoran""]It was a great article, Telynor. The Discovery Channel paid $1 million to have a DNA lab built in the Cairo Museum, and I imagine there are going to be quite a few eye-opening discoveries coming out of there.[/quote]

Oh I bet there will be! I hope that they will go on and test every mummy that they can lay their hands on and see what shakes out. What I love about this batch of testing is that it has raised a lot of new questions -- as to who is that really in KV55? My money is on it being Akhenaten, as the age appears right, and given the fact that Smenkhare appears almost no where else in the record. I also think that the young boy mummy from KV 35 is Amunhotep III's eldest son Thuthmose.

Now all we have to do is wait for the CGI facial reconstructions...

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri May 21st, 2010, 9:31 pm

Sorry about your keyboard, Telynor.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat May 22nd, 2010, 10:25 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Sorry about your keyboard, Telynor.[/quote]

No big deal. The keyboard has put up with many a dowsing of tea over the years, and it still works. But the mental image your statement created.... heh. :D

Return to “Chat”