Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Most Popular Baby Names

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Most Popular Baby Names

Post by michellemoran » Fri May 7th, 2010, 9:00 pm

The most popular baby names for 2009 were (surprise surprise) influenced by literature. Anyone care to take a guess which book before looking?!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri May 7th, 2010, 9:48 pm

Umm--Twilight!!

Okay, I already read the article. Not only that, two of the puppies I've sold are also named Bella. So when we get a call that goes, "Hi, I'm the lady who bought Bella," confusion reigns.

And my second granddaughter, who resides at this time in Japan, is named Emma.

Thank God Emily finally moved from the top spot after holding it for nearly ten years. Back in the day, I was the only person in a school of over 5,000 students with that old-fashioned name.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri May 7th, 2010, 11:39 pm

I'm so glad my parents were somewhat original with my name. I came from an Italian family and my name is Gina, so not very original for them. But in the rural setting I live in I was very original. :)

I'd hate it if there were 4 other Ginas in my class.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Sat May 8th, 2010, 1:54 am

I named my three year old Isabella--and she goes by Bella! This was before Twilight was so huge, and I had no idea it was going to get so popular. I'd just always like the name--and still do, of course. At least my younger girl, Vivienne, has a less common name--I don't think it's even in the top 50 on lists I've seen.

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat May 8th, 2010, 3:16 am

Its always funny seeing the popularity of names change in the preschoolers I teach. When I first started, Michael and Jennifer were top, with Jason, Josh, Emily, Jessica, Brittany following a few years later. Im now hiring teacher aids with those names! Now Im getting kids with old fashioned names: Nathan, Robert, Sarah, Olivia. Living here tho in the SW, the most popular names are Hispanic: Juan, Jose, Jorge, Ricardo, Maria, Rosa, Andrea.....

I hated my name growing up. Like many other girls, I was named after Cindy Lou Who from the Grinch (written the year I was born). So I had a ton of Cindy's in class with me. Finally I rebelled and insisted on being called Celia (my grandmother's name). But I finally decided that Cindy was ok. Just don't call me Cynthia. Ever.

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Sat May 8th, 2010, 3:56 am

I was the only girl in my high school of 1400 named 'Sarah'. Imagine my surprise when I arrived at my small college on the east coast to find myself one of dozen or so--just in my class. It was 'Tiffany' and 'Michelle' that were the most popular in Washington State in the late 60's.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat May 8th, 2010, 9:52 am

When I named my daughter, Chloe, there weren't many of them at all. However, over the next couple of years it seemed to become a very popular name! :rolleyes:

My name was unusual when I was born. My mum's sister asked her why on earth she called me it! She called me Vanessa after Ivor Novello's leading lady, Vanessa Lee - because he thought it was the most romantic name he could think of and my mum liked that idea. Nowadays there appear to be quite a few of them - even my sil is called Vanessa! However, I do quite like it. I believe it was created by Jonathan Swift.

Names definitely have fashions and some of the older names are now making a come back.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Lost Manby Jane Harper & The Last Hours" by Minette Walters
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sat May 8th, 2010, 11:13 am

I still find it unusual to come across a Madeleine and yes, Vanessa is also quite unusual although I was at school with a couple of them. Vivien/ne seems to have been popular in the 50s and 60s, probably down to Vivien Leigh - one of my friends was named after her, although my mum has a cousin called Vivienne who's now in her 80s, although it's also not a name you come across that often. But I think the traditional names always do seem to hold their popularity, thank goodness Kylie has never really caught on that much (in the UK anyway).

My mum is called Avril, which is pretty unusual though!
Currently reading "The Last Hours" by Minette Walters & "The Lost Man" by Jane Harper

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat May 8th, 2010, 11:43 am

Funny you should say that about going to school with a couple of Vanessas, my good friend at school was called Madeleine! :)

Certain names do have certain reputations unfortunately. There's also a fashion with those, too.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Post by robinbird79 » Sat May 8th, 2010, 1:07 pm

My choice for a girl's name (when/if I have one, fingers crossed) is Abigail. I really love the name; it seems so sweet (and simple...our last name is a mouthful). I do have to keep myself from thinking of Abigail Williams from The Crucible though! If I don't go with that name I'm searching Welsh names for one that sounds okay with our last name.

My best friend has two girls. Her oldest (3) is named Audrey (after Ms. Hepburn) and her youngest (3 mths) is Amelia. I think its nice that some of the older names are finally making a come back. When I was in school Jennifer seemed to be the popular name. When I was in college and working in a day care there were a lot of Addisons, Madisons, Mackenzies, etc.
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

Return to “Chat”