Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Anne Rice Question

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The King's Witch" by Tracy Borman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sat May 1st, 2010, 8:18 pm

I only really like her Vampire Chronicles, and a few of those were a bit zzzz, especially the middle books in the series. I tried a couple of her stand alone novels, and was bored rigid. However I also loved the Mayfair Witches trilogy, although the 3rd book did get a bit far-fetched towards the end, although I think the ultimate book is still to be written - namely, Lestat vs Lasher!

I agree with nona about the new religious books, not my thing at all, although they've sold well so good luck to her.
Currently reading "The King's Witch" by Tracy Borman

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun May 2nd, 2010, 6:03 am

I enjoyed her earlier vampire novels tremendously, also the early Mayfair Witch novels - as well as her straight historical novels <i>Cry to Heaven</i> (about a castrato) and <i>The Feast of All Saints</i> (people of mixed race in antebellum New Orleans). But I thought the vampire series became rather meandering and uninteresting with the later novels - very likely, it got stale and unexciting for her to be writing more-or-less the same old stuff, and she would have been itching to try something new regardless.

Angel Time (see review at HistoricalNovels.info) was reasonably enjoyable, I thought, though not as good as her best novels. It's supposed to be the first in a new series, and the series may get better as it goes along. She spent more time than necessary, I thought, setting up her protagonist's situation, but then the story perked up quite a lot for me when he goes back in time. Presumably, the sequels will not need to spend as much time setting up his present-day circumstances.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Chat”