Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

getting bullied on youtube for being American

Helen_Davis

getting bullied on youtube for being American

Post by Helen_Davis » Sun April 18th, 2010, 11:22 pm

I've been being bullied on youtube today by someone from Latin America who told me I had no right to defend the USA or Anglo Saxon culture. I'm starting to believe him and I'm starting to think that he's right and that I should just either give up on life or become a recluse. I deleted my youtube account and decided not to go back there, but it's still haunting me. Who's right? Me or him?

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Mon April 19th, 2010, 1:44 am

I think the problem is getting into discussions with people on the internet. Most message boards are full of people who flame, vent, and scream their opinions at the topic of their lungs, whether or not they have merit. My husband loves soccer and the LA Galaxy and you would not believe (well, anyone who has ever perused a political column would have no trouble believing it) what people say to each other when they are anonymous.

My family has lived in America coming up on 400 years. 'Woodbury' is a nice Anglo-Saxon name. Can I defend everything England and the US has done in the last 1500 years? Heavens no. And why is that at issue? One of my professors at Cambridge announced to her class (and of course, I was the only American in it) that every modern-day American was responsible for the status of Native American Indians in our country. Please. How insulting to them and me. I was too timid to call her on it either.

This was during the Reagan years when it was definitely a bad thing to be an American in Europe (I considered faking being a Canadian, but figured I couldn't pull it off). I actually had another student ask me once, "aren't you afraid?" I stared at her . . . "Of what?" I asked. "Of all the guns!" She had this image of some sort of Wild West where every American packed a concealed weapon to shoot each other with. With those kind of misconceptions, it's kind of hard even to know where to begin.

There is no 'right'. The US has done bad things--far too many--but the genocide in Latin America over the last 500 years is hardly something to write home about. None of this is either your fault, or his/hers (whoever it was who was bullying you).
Last edited by SarahWoodbury on Mon April 19th, 2010, 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon April 19th, 2010, 3:55 am

Andromeda, you should regard this as a God-given opportunity to develop the very thick skin required to be a successful writer. The only way to grow calluses is to put your hand to the plow.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon April 19th, 2010, 7:17 am

I'm a dual citizen, with the right to describe myself either as an American or a Canadian. Since I'm living in the United States, I describe myself as American. How other people react to that is their issue and their problem. If they can't see past their own preconceptions to the individual, that is their issue, not mine. I'll be damned if I'll take refuge under a 'false flag', just as I'll be damned if I succumb to that easy patriotism of "my country right or wrong". One phrase to repeat, over and over again: consider the source, and ignore it.

No reason why someone should say you can't defend aspects of Anglo-Saxon culture, any more than you could/should say that they can't defend elements of Latino culture.

The best response to any bullying from any source is to shrug & walk away and ignore it. It infuriates the bullies more than anything you can say, and leaves you free to just get on with your life. Two birds with one stone.

dee
Scribbler

Post by dee » Mon April 19th, 2010, 11:05 am

In South-Africa at the moment we have a similar problem. Racial tensions are running high with certain individuals on both sides forcing their opinions on their groups and trying to intimidate other groups. I think the only way to get through something like this is to keep your head high, stick to your opinions and let others fight it out if they have nothing better to do.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Mon April 19th, 2010, 12:16 pm

Anyone who has a solid background in History and broad life-experience can counter-punch. All tribes and nations have blood on their hands. Who do you think brought prejudices to the 13 colonies and later to the USA from the "old Country?" All immigrant groups. I can assure you of that.

I have many examples from my travels abroad and domestically . Typically: When I was in Amsteram, Dutch college students simultaneously complained about American racism yet refused to drink with us if we included a half-Indonesian student we "prejudiced" Yanks had met.

When I taught in L.A., a 4th generation Japanese-American girl complained to me her parents would not let the Korean-American friend of her boyfriend cross their threshhold.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon April 19th, 2010, 3:21 pm

Ignore anyone who condemns an entire people.

YouTube in particular is famous for an overrepresentation of the ignorant teenagers population. They know not whereof they speak/type.

Famous quote: "Why is it that people who know the least always know it the loudest?"

Sarah, I have Native American blood in my background. I look forward to reparations being passed so I can write myself a check. :D

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Mon April 19th, 2010, 3:35 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Ignore anyone who condemns an entire people.

YouTube in particular is famous for an overrepresentation of the ignorant teenagers population. They know not whereof they speak/type.

Famous quote: "Why is it that people who know the least always know it the loudest?"

Sarah, I have Native American blood in my background. I look forward to reparations being passed so I can write myself a check. :D [/quote]

thanks LoveHistory. Also, this guy forgets that in Argentina there were NO survivors from an 1800s massacre that ordered all the natives killed. Not justifying what we did at all. But at least there were survivors here.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu April 22nd, 2010, 7:50 pm

Have you read most of the youtube comments? They're written by 5 year olds..or 30 year olds who act like they are 5.

Don't worry about it.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Chat”