Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Louis XIV & Brooke Shields?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Louis XIV & Brooke Shields?

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun February 14th, 2010, 6:11 am

During the Olympics they've been advertising a show that will start the Fri after the Olympics end called "Who Do You Think You Are?", where 7 celebrities learn about their ancestors.

Brooke is told that Louis is a distant cousin. Sarah Jessica Parker is told she has a ancestor who was a "witch" at the Salem Witch Trials. Might be fun to watch.

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Sun February 14th, 2010, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun February 14th, 2010, 2:54 pm

If they had cool celebs it might be fun. I dislike Sarah she annoys me frankly.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun February 14th, 2010, 3:45 pm

I saw that ad - the show looks interesting. That said, the part about Brooke Shields's ancestry is old news. I read about it a while ago (I used to frequent royal genealogy newsgroups). Her grandmother was a member of the Italian aristocracy - you'd think she'd have grown up knowing these things!

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Post by robinbird79 » Sun February 14th, 2010, 6:16 pm

I have seen the previews for this as well. It looks like something I would watch, though I'm not too fond of some of the famous folks they showed.

Still, it looks interesting. :)
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon February 15th, 2010, 4:09 am

This show appears to be similar to a series on PBS called Faces of America. I saw the first show this past week and thought it was quite good.

Here's the description: "What made America? What makes us? These two questions are at the heart of the new PBS series Faces of America with Henry Louis Gates, Jr. The Harvard scholar turns to the latest tools of genealogy and genetics to explore the family histories of 12 renowned Americans — professor and poet Elizabeth Alexander, chef Mario Batali, comedian Stephen Colbert, novelist Louise Erdrich, journalist Malcolm Gladwell, actress Eva Longoria, musician Yo-Yo Ma, director Mike Nichols, Her Majesty Queen Noor, television host/heart surgeon Dr. Mehmet Oz, actress Meryl Streep, and figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi."

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/facesofamerica/

Some of the celebrities were quite emotional when they found out some information about some relatives. The focus was more on the common, ordinary relatives, especially those that came to the USA as immigrants and helped make the country what it is. I had tears in my eyes as did Olympic figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi as she found out how her maternal grandfather had been honored as a soldier in World War II juxtaposed to finding out more about her maternal grandmother being interred in a Japanese-American concentration camp. To me this history is much more important than finding out a relation to royalty in the distant past, although I think some of this does occur in the show. Check the show out if you have a chance.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon February 15th, 2010, 4:14 pm

I'd love to participate in something like that. Might shed a little light on Richard Warren's ancestral makeup.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon February 15th, 2010, 7:03 pm

They are clones of a very successful BBC series, "Who Do You Think You Are?"

I watched the first chunk of the PBS series last night, and wasn't wowed. Compared to the fascinating things that they found out about the British celebs, there wasn't that much there. And the effort to try and tie individual histories into big American themes was clunky, and ended up making individual stories feel scattershot.

The BBC series takes an hour to tell a single individual's family story, takes him or her back to places (in one case, to Gallipoli) to see some of those locations, etc. Much more focused and some real revelations.

(A book idea I've been working on for a while revolves around genealogy; I just don't have the right narrative arc for it yet, though two chapters are written... Title: Bluebloods, Black Sheep and Missing Links: America's Obsessive Search for our Roots.)

Oh, and I'm an eighth cousin of Ernest Hemingway; really. Dating back to a common ancestor, born in the 17th century!

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Thu February 25th, 2010, 4:27 pm

what channel does it air on?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri February 26th, 2010, 8:16 pm

Just read that the BBC will be showing the US version of Who do you think...later this year, not sure who they've got for new British series yet though. Lisa Kudrow's sounds interesting, although, as is often the case of someone from a Jewish family, very sad.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat February 27th, 2010, 1:45 am

Nona, it's on NBC.

Return to “Chat”