Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What's it doing outside your window?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Re: What's it doing outside your window?

Post by Madeleine » Sat August 15th, 2015, 10:51 am

We had that rain and thunder over the last couple of days, but nice and sunny this morning, for now anyway ;)
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat August 15th, 2015, 1:19 pm

It was horrid yesterday. It poured it down all day, just so miserable. I can't believe it's August! It's sunny but breezy today, an improvement but not what I would call summer weather. Summer has been so disappointing this year.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

blueemerald
Reader

Post by blueemerald » Mon August 24th, 2015, 2:10 am

We in Seattle, Washington are feeling the effects of the massive wildfires in Eastern Washington (only some 300 miles away). The sky here is tinged grey pink, everywhere you look in the near distance there is a fog-like haze. The smell of smoke outside touches every breath. The sun at rise and set is a supernaturally brilliant, red/orange orb punched cleanly through the dark smear of sky. I sat down on my (clean) stoop step and later discovered a thin layer of black (ash) had discolored my shorts. Feels surreal.

This pall of smoke has increased my awareness of the hellish situation of the fires; ravages to homes and land and lives (3 firefighters have died and a 4th critically burned). I'm keeping the firefighters, the families, pets, farm and wild animals in my thoughts. Maybe you all could, too.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon August 24th, 2015, 9:30 am

That's scary blueemerald, especially when you're so far away. I've been on holiday in places where they've had fires up in the hills, nowhere near as bad as the ones you're having, but the smell of smoke is hideous and as you say, there's a sort of pall which hangs over everything. I remember the moon turning a vivid red at night. Hope you all stay safe.

Anywhere here in London we had a beautiful day on Saturday, yesterday was rain and then sun, today so far it's just poured.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 24th, 2015, 5:35 pm

The fires on the east side of the mountains are very bad indeed, so many homes destroyed and three fire fighters have lost their lives in it. I can't bear to turn the news on anymore, or I start crying again. One of my old high school chums lives very close by one of the fires, but so far hasn't had to evacuate.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon August 31st, 2015, 10:21 am

Well in the Uk it's the last holiday weekend before Xmas, and true to fork it's pouring :rolleyes: :x
Last edited by Madeleine on Mon August 31st, 2015, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon August 31st, 2015, 10:22 am

Well in the Uk it's the last holiday weekend before Xmas, and true to form it's pouring :rolleyes: :x

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 31st, 2015, 2:58 pm

We had lots of rain and high winds over the weekend. The rain was very welcome, but the wind did a bit of damage with the trees weakened from the drought.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Wed November 18th, 2015, 12:27 pm

Lots of wind again last night, although not a cold one, but it was very noisy, and the leaves are well and truly off the trees now :p We now have our own storms with names, this was the end of Storm Barney apparently.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed November 18th, 2015, 3:32 pm

We had wild winds (and rain!!) yesterday. Lots of drought stricken trees down, and lots of peeps without power. Sadly, one young man in his twenties lost his life when a tree crashed onto the vehicle he was driving. From the pictures and what fire and rescue reported, it was a rural road with lots of trees coming down and taking live power lines with them - very dangerous for them to go in and attempt a rescue.

Return to “Chat”