Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What's it doing outside your window?

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon June 13th, 2011, 11:44 am

Finally we have a respite from the humidity and it's beautiful outside!! I think it is supposed to be cloudy this morning, but I don't mind because of how cool it is! Beats the 105 degree days we had last week!!
Brenna

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Mon June 13th, 2011, 10:01 pm

Sparkling bright and breezy day after yesterdays rain.Very pleasantly warm.My feverfew is beginning to bloom with it's masses of tiny daisy- like flowers.

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Mon June 13th, 2011, 10:16 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]
You've reminded me I keep wanting to hunt down a globe or good world map and try to figure out how far north England, etc. is compared to my side of the pond. I have this thing about maps and such and like to know *where I am* in a book.[/quote]

Our islands are approx. the same latitude as Newfoundland. But principly due to the North Atlantic Drift(part of the Gulf Stream) our climate(especially Ireland's) is very mild and rarely suffers extreme cold.The UK has a harsher winter but a warmer and drier summer than Ireland's.However during the past two winters we've been very surprised at the severity of Nov/Dec. with remarkable amounts of snow
Last edited by BrianPK on Mon June 13th, 2011, 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun June 19th, 2011, 3:56 am

It's been gray, spitting rain, foggy, and a little muggy when I was out in Tacoma today. When I finally got home, I was cold enough that I put my heater on.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun June 19th, 2011, 12:41 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]It's been gray, spitting rain, foggy, and a little muggy when I was out in Tacoma today. When I finally got home, I was cold enough that I put my heater on.

SM[/quote]

Today doesn't look so promising yet either :mad:
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sun June 19th, 2011, 4:31 pm

It's somewhat overcast, but pleasant out; a nice breeze and not beastly hot and humid. I sure would love a good solid rainy day, though. We (and my camellias!) need it very badly.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun June 19th, 2011, 4:50 pm

[quote=""BrianPK""]Our islands are approx. the same latitude as Newfoundland. But principly due to the North Atlantic Drift(part of the Gulf Stream) our climate(especially Ireland's) is very mild and rarely suffers extreme cold.The UK has a harsher winter but a warmer and drier summer than Ireland's.However during the past two winters we've been very surprised at the severity of Nov/Dec. with remarkable amounts of snow[/quote]

Thanks for that, info that like helps when reading about England, etc. Your winter days must be relatively short of daylight then.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun June 19th, 2011, 5:47 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Today doesn't look so promising yet either :mad: [/quote]

Yeah, but at least I don't have to be out in it!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue June 21st, 2011, 12:27 pm

It's dreary and the humidity is back up. I can deal with almost anything but humidity.
Brenna

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Tue June 21st, 2011, 11:04 pm

Longest day of the year just ending.It's just midnight and the northern sky is still bright.We had a beautiful evening after an awful day of torrential showers.I planted three delphiniums this afternoon but I think they're too close to my dahlias.I might move them in the morning.

Return to “Chat”