Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Danielle Steele's missing million

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Danielle Steele's missing million

Post by EC2 » Wed September 30th, 2009, 8:58 am

Saw this today. Danielle Steele's bookkeeper has been running off with the cash
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 95169.html
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed September 30th, 2009, 4:54 pm

Poor thing. She may even have to sell one of her homes.

Seriously though, no one should steal anything from anyone, let alone millions from an employer.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed September 30th, 2009, 9:02 pm

One of the disadvantages of huge success - you become reliant on a network of employees and have to put your trust in them.

Only the latest in a long saga of employee problems according to this biography.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Wed September 30th, 2009, 10:02 pm

she needs a good private banker, not a bookeeper.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Ex-employee gets two years and nine months

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed April 21st, 2010, 4:30 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 634570.stm

Her statement said she was motivated by envy and jealousy - although she was making $200,000 a year herself, which isn't chicken feed.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed April 21st, 2010, 7:09 pm

I know this is fifty kinds of wrong, and that she should never, ever have stolen, but I do feel sorry for the employee. She and her husband have lost their home because of her actions and her six year old little girl will not have a mommy for almost three years. Imagine not seeing your child from ages 6 to 9? Plus, who knows if her marriage will survive this, and what kind of job she could possibly get after having a felony on her record. Of course, I suppose she should have thought of this while merrily cashing Danielle Steel's checks to herself... what a terrible situation all around.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The King's Witch" by Tracy Borman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Thu April 22nd, 2010, 11:16 am

[quote=""michellemoran""]I know this is fifty kinds of wrong, and that she should never, ever have stolen, but I do feel sorry for the employee. She and her husband have lost their home because of her actions and her six year old little girl will not have a mommy for almost three years. Imagine not seeing your child from ages 6 to 9? Plus, who knows if her marriage will survive this, and what kind of job she could possibly get after having a felony on her record. Of course, I suppose she should have thought of this while merrily cashing Danielle Steel's checks to herself... what a terrible situation all around.[/quote]

Exactly - she should have thought of the consequences first, it's terrible for her family, especially the little girl, but the silly woman should have stopped to consider them first (presumably she didn't think she'd get caught out) so, no, I don't feel sorry for her. :mad:
Currently reading "The King's Witch" by Tracy Borman

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Thu April 22nd, 2010, 4:05 pm

If the bookkeeper in question had been making $50k and living in a shack in DS's garden, unable to send her kids to college while having to watch Danielle wander around draped in diamonds, I'd have some sympathy. But it sounds like DS was paying well above the going rate. Envy is a nasty thing. But I stick to what I said -- anyone with as many millions as that needs a private banker. This happens a lot more than people know, simply because when folks become ultra-wealthy, they find it difficult to trust. And the people they trust are people they feel a bond to. Unfortunately, con artists like Madoff are excellent at playing on just that kind of tendency. If DS had chosen to work with an established institution, this would have been (at least) caught very early. Every private bank is legally required to give its employees a two-week "no contact with the office" vacation -- the whole idea of which is to give any problems with embezzlement, etc. a chance to surface. Pick an organization that has systems in place to prevent fraud, not a person who you think you can trust. Sad comment on people, but....

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue May 4th, 2010, 5:30 am

DS confronted her employee at the trial, according to her most recent blog post.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed May 5th, 2010, 12:21 am

What do you want to be this ends up in one of her novels in the future?

Return to “Chat”