Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Most Annoying thing today

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu August 20th, 2009, 10:50 pm

CB: I'm on 6 book out a time. They mail them to me in a package with 2 books inside. I mail back 2 books at a time and when they get back to BF they'll send me 2 more.

It's too late for my "ship next" option for the 2 they just sent me since it happened today, oh well.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri August 21st, 2009, 1:50 pm

I had my first ever filling this morning. But, as I'm now in my fifth decade, I think I've done pretty well to last thus far without one.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri August 21st, 2009, 6:38 pm

Sweet potato boy, I think I hate you. I am in my fifth decade, which none of my teeth will survive, it seems! At any rate, I have thousands of dollars of dental work looming.

Oh yes, and must save $7k for an MRI. My shoulderblade ache is back again -- it has been plaguing me more or less constantly since November. Sometimes quite achey, sometimes just very far back. But I've actually forgotten what it would be like to not think about it or be conscious of a slight muscle pain (like when you reach for something and it's just that bit too far and you pull the muscle). Sometimes, like now, it intensifies and spreads a bit lower. And no, I don't have health insurance. My last policy was rescinded, and now I can't afford it. And now Obama is backing away from a government option, I never will be able to afford it. I'll be living on the streets if I'm forced to buy at market rates... Gripe gripe gripe.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 2:55 am

So in my neighborhood is a residential intersection with a four way stop. Its one of those places that usually gets next to any traffic, most people roll to the stop, and move on if there is no one there. Well, last night after I did this, a cop followed me, said I didn't stop and gave me a ticket. $190 worth. Not even a warning. Oh great. I was pretty miffed, esp as the guy was a real jerk about it. On the way home today, I noticed the guy parked about two car lengths away from the stop sign. I stopped, and drove home. My DH and I went out for dinner this evening. DH did the exact same thing I did, not thinking about it, and sure enough, same cop was right there, and gave him a ticket. Ya know - traffic is pretty bad around here about a block or so up. Think he might do his job and catch the speeders and agressive drivers on the road? I have always been a supporter of police officers, I know most of the time they are there to keep us safe, and most of the time act like human beings. This guy gives cops a bad name. (and yeah, I'll be a good little girl and make a complete stop, while the cars behind me are honking. Geesh)

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 3:18 pm

That's a bummer Ash. I think as local governments become more desperate for money the amount of traffic tickets (and in my neighborhood tickets for having your dog off leash) are bound to go up.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sun August 23rd, 2009, 6:59 pm

No Sunday "Washington Post" delivery. My dad noticed no one else got theirs either except the local town paper. I love reading the Sunday paper, it's the one day of the week that I can sit down with it.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon August 24th, 2009, 2:59 pm

My landlord just gave me 24 hours notice that he plans to 'drop by and visit' for 'an hour or so' tomorrow. He does this two or three times a year, 'just to make sure that everything is OK. Everything is OK, already!!!!! ARGHHHHH. I now must postpone or cancel three meetings, a dentist appointment and a lunch because he doesn't know when he is going to be here. This, after he told me he was going back to Germany (where he lives most of the year) next week and wouldn't be coming to NY before then. So I figured it was OK to set all this up...

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon August 24th, 2009, 3:59 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]My landlord just gave me 24 hours notice that he plans to 'drop by and visit' for 'an hour or so' tomorrow. He does this two or three times a year, 'just to make sure that everything is OK. Everything is OK, already!!!!! ARGHHHHH. I now must postpone or cancel three meetings, a dentist appointment and a lunch because he doesn't know when he is going to be here. [/quote]

That's not fair. He can't just turn up at a time that's not convenient to you. It's not your fault his plans keep changing.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue August 25th, 2009, 2:47 pm

[quote=""Ash""]DH and I went out for dinner this evening. DH did the exact same thing I did, not thinking about it, and sure enough, same cop was right there, and gave him a ticket. [/quote]

EEEEEEKKK - $390 plus the cost of your dinner = a very expensive dinner. That cop sounds like a complete assh*le, a 'job's worth' as people in the UK say. Sorry you both fell foul of him on what is a completely meaningless technicality. I got pulled by a park trooper for that in Yellowstone NP once, but managed to get off by pulling the dumb tourist approach.

Chatterbox - is that allowed? I would have thought that there were laws dictating how much notice a landlord can give before doing that?
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue August 25th, 2009, 6:34 pm

My Firefox is really CHEESING me off! It takes forever to load and then when I finally get it up, it freezes off countless times! Today it's taken me about an hour to do anything with all the closing it and bringing it back up! I stopped using IE because it was doing this and now FF has gone the bad route too!

Any suggestions?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Chat”