Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Most Annoying thing today

chuck
Bibliophile

Motor vehicle????

Postby chuck » Mon August 17th, 2009, 7:11 pm

"Tanzanite" wrote:I went to go get my Colorado driver's license today. The city of Denver (Denver proper - not the suburbs) only has 2 license branches and the one I went to only had 1 person who was helping people and then 1 person handling payments and pictures - unbelievable! I spent almost 2 hours there and then, I find out that they don't even give you the license while you are there. They mail it to you. Can't wait until I have to register my car...

Like most states they hire outside vendors to operate MV agencies.....I would definitely complain to the state/county....Many times the state/county has no idea what their agencies are doing....Most of them lack customer service and are under staffed....Good luck

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Tue August 18th, 2009, 1:33 am

Bitdefender :mad:

It does NOT play well with Vista. I had so many problems with it..for instance it was scanning my computer for 4 hours! I am not kidding. I dumped it and got Kaspersky.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Sheramy
Reader

Postby Sheramy » Tue August 18th, 2009, 6:33 pm

Why do students these days think it's ok to email their professor and call her by her first name? Gah!
Sunflowers: A Novel of Vincent van Gogh, forthcoming from Avon-A, 13 October 2009
My blog: http://vangoghschair.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.sheramybundrick.com
For it is truly the discovery of a new hemisphere in a person's life when he falls seriously in love. -Vincent van Gogh

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue August 18th, 2009, 6:35 pm

When I was in college most of my professors said to call them by their first names. But now that I'm adult I still can't call any of my high school teachers by their first names (except one) it was so engrained not to.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Tue August 18th, 2009, 9:39 pm

SM, I'm with you on that -- though some of my fellow HS students (from the 70s) do manage.

Still, current students should wait to be invited to use the first name -- it's basic respect.

Me: woke up with a migraine this morning. Then chased up and down two sides of Fifth avenue looking for a building that doesn't seem to exist. Turns out the PR guy gave me both the wrong building # AND the wrong directions. Was 30 mins late for a meeting as a result...

Lauryn
Reader

Postby Lauryn » Wed August 19th, 2009, 5:33 am

"Chatterbox" wrote:Me: woke up with a migraine this morning. Then chased up and down two sides of Fifth avenue looking for a building that doesn't seem to exist. Turns out the PR guy gave me both the wrong building # AND the wrong directions. Was 30 mins late for a meeting as a result...

Gotta love that (not)! :D I'm always amused at the fact that it is usually PR in such anecdotes, who have given the bad info that either made you look bad or seriously inconvenienced you, or both. Do they not realize that there is a silent "P" in their job description: Positive Public Relations.....
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Wed August 19th, 2009, 7:58 pm

Lauryn, ROTFL. I write about Wall Street, so the answer would have to be no -- and if you told them about the silent P they would reject the concept outright....

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Wed August 19th, 2009, 8:22 pm

A cold? I think I have a cold. I am all stuffy and tired n stuff. booo. How dreadful!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.

http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu August 20th, 2009, 5:53 am

Feel better Divia!

I wanted to have "The Virgin's Daughters" as my ship next book at BF (meaning it has to be in the next package they ship me, helpful for any book not labeled as "High" availability). The book came out Aug 4th according to Amazon, but BF says it "is being released this month, but is not available through Booksfree yet. Please try again later in the month."

Now I have to decide if I want to save this ship next and try again for my 3rd package (you only get one "ship next" a month) or use it on this 2nd package (4 books I've sent back are on it's way there but 2 books will get there before the other 2).

Sigh :P

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Thu August 20th, 2009, 9:24 pm

SM, am not entirely sure that I followed that... will have to check out Booksfree to understand!

Tigger-the-terror-cat soared through the air and landed just in front of me on my desk as I was eating lunch. The problem? Lunch was soup.

Oh, and I'm still battling this migraine. It's my rationale for giving myself the day off today...

Return to “Chat”