Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Most Annoying thing today

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Re: The Most Annoying thing today

Post by Lisa » Wed July 22nd, 2015, 9:49 am

I'm enjoying your insights MLE, animals are making more sense to me now!

On a different note, you mentioned carnivores/herbivores, obviously I'm still a 'carnivore' human in terms of psychology and behaviour, but in practice I'm vegetarian (for the past 13 years) and always wondered if animals think I smell different. For example, I love cats, but quite often when I approach them they flee, whereas the same cat will cuddle up to Fred (who eats meat) no problem. Maybe my smell is confusing them and making me seem untrustworthy. I also remember my friend's dog going berserk at me when I was undergoing chemo although she was fine with me previously and again a few months after it finished. Even I noticed I smelled weird then though so I don't blame her.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Fri July 24th, 2015, 11:37 pm

MLE is always interesting and instructive! :)

I haven't really got any annoyances today. Yay!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun July 26th, 2015, 11:16 am

MLE, having just had a small llama experience myself your words about them keeping their distance got me thinking...whilst on holiday we went to a farm park which had a "feed the deer/llamas" experience, where we were taken on one of those small land trains into a field, given bundles of food pellets and waited for the deer and llamas to approach, which didn't take long as they all came rushing over. The deer all shoved their heads in and grabbed the food from our hands, or knocked most of it onto the floor, whilst the llamas seem to hang back. I assumed it was because the deer was so pushy, but after what you've said I wonder if there was more to it than being shoved out of the way!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Wed September 2nd, 2015, 8:27 am

Did a very silly thing yesterday and forgot my book, felt quite lost without it :p

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon October 19th, 2015, 11:40 pm

Have for weeks been planning a big meeting out of town. The meeting starts tomorrow, so though my annual writing conference was this weekend (so I really got no weekend), I worked today and am in the midst of a 12 day work week basically. Got a call from our hotel: the restaurant where we had reservations has GONE OUT OF BUSINESS. Since last week.

Geez oh pete.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue October 20th, 2015, 3:51 am

That's the pits. But at least the hotel isn't out of business. :cry:

blueemerald
Reader

Post by blueemerald » Tue October 20th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Workmen are here in my home today replacing carpet. Prior to starting actual work, I walked with them through the carpet area, and reviewed the plan. They seemed surprised at a couple of the details. Hmmm. The details were clearly noted on the invoice. They did not have a work order that I could review. I am glad I checked things prior to work initiation and throughout. Although I believe my supervision should be unnecessary. They are the professionals with specialization in the materials, equipment, etc. I am not. This is not the first time I have experienced broken communication between the boss-person creating an order for a job and the worker-bee consigned to the actual work that resulted in incorrect work and frustrating re-work. Such a simple thing...communication...such an important thing....communication. Really.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Great anniversary. Horrible cold.

Post by fljustice » Sun November 1st, 2015, 10:16 pm

Sorry I've been MIA for a couple of weeks. Lots to catch up on! Hubby and I took a lovely trip to New Orleans to celebrate our 35th anniversary. Had a great time with good food and better music. Unfortunately, I also caught a nasty cold. On the flight coming back, my ears were almost totally blocked--very painful--but they cleared the next day. Needless to say between not feeling up to snuff, tons of work to catch up on, and getting ready for NaNoWriMo, I have spent almost no time on the internet. Facebook keeps sending me these plaintive emails about all the stuff I've missed, but I missed more here than all the other places put together. Glad to be back even with a lingering cough.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun November 1st, 2015, 10:41 pm

Nothing like talking about books to help you forget a bad cold. Hope you're feeling better Faith.
My hubby is suffering from a cold imported from China. Several members of his team went to a meeting there last week and they all came back sick. Now it's going around the office. Here's hoping I don't get it!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Re: Great anniversary. Horrible cold.

Post by Madeleine » Mon November 2nd, 2015, 9:57 am

fljustice wrote:Sorry I've been MIA for a couple of weeks. Lots to catch up on! Hubby and I took a lovely trip to New Orleans to celebrate our 35th anniversary. Had a great time with good food and better music. Unfortunately, I also caught a nasty cold. On the flight coming back, my ears were almost totally blocked--very painful--but they cleared the next day. Needless to say between not feeling up to snuff, tons of work to catch up on, and getting ready for NaNoWriMo, I have spent almost no time on the internet. Facebook keeps sending me these plaintive emails about all the stuff I've missed, but I missed more here than all the other places put together. Glad to be back even with a lingering cough.
I've had that ear problem too on a plane, it's absolute agony, mine took nearly a week to clear fully :o Hope you're feeling better now.

Return to “Chat”