Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Most Annoying thing today

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Re: The Most Annoying thing today

Post by Lisa » Thu April 14th, 2016, 11:33 am

Madeleine wrote:So we finally have a sunny, almost warm spring-like day....and my hay fever's started :o
At least we are safe from hay fever up here - the Met Office has just issued a yellow warning of snow for our region tomorrow. Fred and I are nursing colds instead :(

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu April 14th, 2016, 5:36 pm

My most annoying thing is moving the home office downstairs (again). Last May we hauled all this junk upstairs, so that son #2 could use the downstairs office. Son #2 got too far into internet gaming for his little family's good, so we just cut off the internet and are moving back down into the space. Upstairs room is going to a postdoc intern couple from China who stayed with us a couple summers back, we enjoyed them and they really can't afford the kind of rental prices charged in our area, so we agreed they could have the upstairs at a bargain.
That last part isn't annoying, we love having the world come stay with us. (The physics world, that is.) Annoying is the boxes and #2 son. Gaming withdrawals. Now he's got nothing to do but read Dr. Seuss to his toddler.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu August 11th, 2016, 12:29 am

According to this test I took for getting job help, I do not read as well as I thought. So now I need to relearn.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat October 1st, 2016, 8:28 pm

Anyone know how to retrieve a CD after it's gone into the CD player and fallen out of the tray? One of mine slipped off the tray this morning and went into the mechanism. :oops:
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat October 1st, 2016, 11:19 pm

Madeleine wrote:Same here Diane, and I see a lot of cyclists riding along busily chatting on their mobiles, and in one case, texting whilst riding. Are they suicidal or just idiotic?
Both. I can't get over the ones on their phones while they're walking the sidewalks AND crossing the street and jabbering away.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Sun October 2nd, 2016, 10:56 am

Oh yes pedestrians are a pain as well, and kids on scooters - why do they have to take them everywhere with them (including buses and trains, and in the shops?)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun October 2nd, 2016, 10:18 pm

Madeleine wrote:Oh yes pedestrians are a pain as well, and kids on scooters - why do they have to take them everywhere with them (including buses and trains, and in the shops?)
I am at a loss trying to understand the addition to the phones. Once I was in line to checkout at the store and the guy the cashier was currently helping was slowing things down blabbing on a call.

The worst though, and we see it happen a lot at work is a customer who comes in needing help picking out the stone (or other product) for his house. The sales rep stops whatever he's doing to help the customer and said customer then answers an incoming call and carries on the conversation instead of I have to call you back, I'm busy. It is soooooooooooooo rude.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon October 3rd, 2016, 3:28 pm

yes that's so rude, glad I don't work in a shop and have to put up with that. I think people are in a bubble when they're engrossed in their phone.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon April 10th, 2017, 7:30 pm

Two-way bicycle lanes on a one-way street on a busy downtown street in a major city. This is a recipe for disaster, and someone will one day get hurt. Pedestrians and drivers alike don't think to look both ways, since it IS a one way street, for cyclists in the two-way bicycle lanes. The cyclists tend to go very fast and get angry at drivers and pedestrians who don't see them. This morning I watched a cyclist almost ram into a car that was pulling into a parking garage because the driver, of course, didn't see her. A lot of people aren't regulars to the area, and don't even think to look in both directions. Even regulars like myself forget to look and the cyclists are quite honestly hard to see.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue April 11th, 2017, 10:41 am

Ludmilla wrote:Two-way bicycle lanes on a one-way street on a busy downtown street in a major city. This is a recipe for disaster, and someone will one day get hurt. Pedestrians and drivers alike don't think to look both ways, since it IS a one way street, for cyclists in the two-way bicycle lanes. The cyclists tend to go very fast and get angry at drivers and pedestrians who don't see them. This morning I watched a cyclist almost ram into a car that was pulling into a parking garage because the driver, of course, didn't see her. A lot of people aren't regulars to the area, and don't even think to look in both directions. Even regulars like myself forget to look and the cyclists are quite honestly hard to see.
Please note I am not lumping ALL cyclists into the same category, but at the same time I see reckless behavior a lot. They jump in and out of traffic, between the sidewalks and the road when they don't have their own lane. Wearing dark clothing and no reflecters to make sure drivers in the dark (and rain!!) can even see them.

My one bugaboo, and thankfully only once a year is the Seattle to Portland bit that brings them through my hometown in the morning. It's a multi lane road, very busy and some will not keep to the far right lane, and also will not yield to drivers trying to make a right hand turn into a retail lot.

Return to “Chat”