Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Most Annoying thing today

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Re: The Most Annoying thing today

Post by Nefret » Wed November 4th, 2015, 12:45 am

Having a headache for most of today.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Wed November 4th, 2015, 9:51 pm

Faith, glad you are back and hope you feel tip-top quickly!!

Blueemerald, I've spent today working from home with contractors coming and going. The downstairs bath has become my bugaboo, I'm beginning to think it will never be completed. And the downstairs bath? Is 37" x 72". It's scarcely ten square feet, and it's had more unproductive visits from contractors than I can bear to count.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon December 14th, 2015, 12:25 am

Retailers and clothing manufacturers that sew pockets shut on pants. I needed new pants for work and use my pockets. It's becoming hard to find pants with pockets that aren't sewn shut. I know I can fix it, but it annoys me to no end!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon December 14th, 2015, 9:57 am

Ludmilla wrote:Retailers and clothing manufacturers that sew pockets shut on pants. I needed new pants for work and use my pockets. It's becoming hard to find pants with pockets that aren't sewn shut. I know I can fix it, but it annoys me to no end!
Oh they used to do that here but seemed to have stopped now, I agree it was so annoying! :o
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon December 14th, 2015, 12:34 pm

Madeleine wrote:
Ludmilla wrote:Retailers and clothing manufacturers that sew pockets shut on pants. I needed new pants for work and use my pockets. It's becoming hard to find pants with pockets that aren't sewn shut. I know I can fix it, but it annoys me to no end!
Oh they used to do that here but seemed to have stopped now, I agree it was so annoying! :o
I bought a pair last year in Vero Moda that had the pockets sewn shut. Grrr.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun December 20th, 2015, 12:27 am

Actually it was yesterday, but I'm still impacted today. I pulled a muscle/tendon/whatever in my thigh just above the backside of the knee. It had been stiff and bothersome for a few days, especially overnight when I was sleeping and not moving around, but I was bringing two heavy bags up the stairs yesterday and something snapped or popped. At least it wasn't bone and at least I still have my walker from a bread in 2008. My hobbling has been improving steadily throughout the day... :x
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun December 20th, 2015, 4:17 am

That's the pits, Misfit. Hope it heals quickly.

I'm still waiting for them to decide whether to screw my scaphod bone (something in the wrist that apparently cracks when you fall with an outstretched hand) or leave me in this blasted wrist support.
Typing one-handed is not my forte. If they won't go for the quick-fix screw, I may even be forced to learn that speech-to-text program the dh bought me last year.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun December 20th, 2015, 4:22 am

[quote="Misfit"] I pulled a muscle/tendon/whatever in my thigh just above the backside of the knee. /quote]

And BTW, go and get a product called kinesio tape. It's sold under different brands--I use KT, because my local Walgreen's carries it. Then watch any of the many youtube videos telling you how to apply it for your particular ache or strain. The stuff is MAGIC! I keep my ankle tendonitis under control when it flares up (about once every two months) plus the knee that bugs me once in a while, and my DIL uses it on her injured shoulder, and the contractor son has even started trying it on the recurring aches and pains. It feels so light, you can't imagine it's going to do anything, but it does.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun December 20th, 2015, 1:12 pm

MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:
Misfit wrote: I pulled a muscle/tendon/whatever in my thigh just above the backside of the knee. /quote]

Thanks for that. The Ace bandage helped out a lot and much improved this morning (a lot less pain), but still a bit wobbly.

And BTW, go and get a product called kinesio tape. It's sold under different brands--I use KT, because my local Walgreen's carries it. Then watch any of the many youtube videos telling you how to apply it for your particular ache or strain. The stuff is MAGIC! I keep my ankle tendonitis under control when it flares up (about once every two months) plus the knee that bugs me once in a while, and my DIL uses it on her injured shoulder, and the contractor son has even started trying it on the recurring aches and pains. It feels so light, you can't imagine it's going to do anything, but it does.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun December 20th, 2015, 3:09 pm

Trust me, KT tape is a whole generation better than an ace bandage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2xYUxXrjxk Wal-Mart has it too, but you have to go to the weight-lifting section to find it. You leave it on for up to 5 days, and viola! strain gone. (It even stays on through bathing.)

Return to “Chat”