Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Most Annoying thing today

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri July 12th, 2013, 3:28 am

Sorry to hear that about the house, Divia. We had some rather unwelcome surprises with ours, but not that bad.

Summer has hit, and with it severely reduced internet time. In spite of everything it's not going too badly so far. Hopefully that will continue.

The local bookstore is going out of business. :( I'm rather down about this. The owners have been very kind and encouraging. It was an independent store.

I'm trying a very low word count for July Camp NaNoWriMo (you can set your own goal) and I've hit a wall with my novel. I don't know if it's burnout or what. The darn thing just keeps going (over 150,000 words now). The words aren't a problem, even with summer. I just can't seem to find a scene that I can write. Maybe it's temporary. Certainly annoying.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Hidden" by Linda Gillard
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri July 12th, 2013, 8:37 am

It's always sad when a bookshop goes out of business, especially an independent one.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri July 12th, 2013, 1:16 pm

No wonder there are so many rats running around - it's not uncommon to see rubbish dumped on the street etc but what I saw at lunchtime takes the biscuit (excuse the pun) - someone had dumped a couple of huge cakes, along with the usual other rubbish bags - one was a chocolate cake - you can imagine what that looks like after being in the sun - and the other looked a bit like a wedding cake! Yuk. And then I nearly got knocked down by a cyclist going through a red light. I so love working in London.....

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sat July 13th, 2013, 5:49 pm

LoveHistory, I'm sorry to hear that; it is such a shame.

My annoyance is the summer cold that crept up on Thursday and won't quite let go. I sound like Billy Crystal when he's doing his phlegmy-old-man schtick. Ew!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon July 15th, 2013, 1:15 pm

This. Still. Ugh.

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon July 15th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Hope you feel better soon Diane!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon July 15th, 2013, 9:51 pm

The heat is making me sick. I have a major headache that probably won't go away until I sleep it off.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Wed July 17th, 2013, 12:26 am

Madeleine, thank you! I went to the doc yesterday and it's a pretty nasty bronchial infection. I have been out of the office since last Thursday, and am still sick as a dog, but since I'm not contagious and the boss is in town, as well as there being a large all-hands nationwide call I want to shepherd to completion, I'm going back tomorrow. Today I picked up my laptop and worked from home, so that's a nice advantage.

Especially so, as the cold water pipe burst in my downstairs bathroom today. Because: of course.

Also, headache. Because, again: of course. LH, try what works for me - ice packs at the base of your neck and/or over your forehead. Sometimes, better than all the NSAIDs in the world - plus, it's so hot, it will feel good!

I just hope I have a voice of some sort tomorrow. I've woken up for the past three days literally afraid to even try to talk. (Please feel free to insert "THANK GOODNESS!" jokes here ... :P )

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon July 22nd, 2013, 4:47 am

Thank you for the tip, Diane. I will try that.

Last night my daughter (five years old, the baby of the family) came down really sick. We knew from last week she had strep throat, and she'd also caught a cold. This morning she was tired (from tossing and turning all night, no doubt), no appetite, pale, and a mild fever. But she didn't get better as the day went on. Took her to the hospital's walk-in clinic and spent the whole afternoon there. They put her on a nebulizer which helped a lot with the breathing. She got some color back and decided she was hungry. It's always a good sign when a sick child suddenly asks for a cheeseburger. That and the talking. Took chest x-rays. Waited for the radiologist for almost an hour because of a spot that might have been pneumonia, but thankfully wasn't.

Verdict: in addition to the strep she has an ear infection (showed no signs so we must have caught it very early) and bronchiolitis. Switched her to a stronger antibiotic, added another medicine and stopped by the hospital to pick up a nebulizer to use at home. Of course our pharmacy was closed, and sadly the new medicines taste even worse than the old one did (even with the bubblegum flavoring). Still, she's one tough cookie and will pull through fine. It's just going to be another miserable day or two.

Youngest son is starting to cough. I hope it's just the cold for him. He's the diabetic and I worry every time he shows the slightest signs of illness. Don't want him to land in the hospital again.

Well I didn't sleep much last night so I'm exhausted and going to bed. Tomorrow will be better. I hope.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon July 22nd, 2013, 4:51 am

Went to the beach yesterday. I misplaced my sunscreen, and got burned. Ouch!
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “Chat”