Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

My kind of library building

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

My kind of library building

Post by Misfit » Fri July 31st, 2009, 5:23 pm

I'm perusing some photos on ABC news here of strangest buildings and I had to share this one,

An awesome parking garage is almost an oxymoron, but the unusual facade of the Kansas City, Mo., Public Library's garage remains a distinct symbol of artistic architecture. Featuring popular books like "Huckleberry Finn," " The Lord of the Rings" and "Romeo and Juliet," each book spine prominently displays a title in a 9-by-25-foot rectangle on the exterior wall. The garage is the highlight of the Kansas City's library district and sits across from the Central Library. The entire complex was opened in 2004 and cost nearly $50 million.
(Courtesy Kansas City Public Library)
Last edited by Misfit on Fri July 31st, 2009, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri July 31st, 2009, 5:40 pm

Wow, if only all parking garage designers were that inspired...

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Fri July 31st, 2009, 7:32 pm

I think it's quite lovely! That's one parking garage that I don't mind looking at.
Andrea

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat August 1st, 2009, 4:27 pm

What a wonderful idea!

Return to “Chat”