Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Probably just for the cat lovers here

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Probably just for the cat lovers here

Post by Misfit » Fri June 19th, 2009, 1:46 pm

I found this video review of an automatic pet feeder on Amazon and thought I'd share it. Kitties are too clever for their own good.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri June 19th, 2009, 4:03 pm

Even my tech guy can't get Windows Vista to work with Flash... so I'll never see it. I assume that the cat has figured out an incredibly creative way to get into the jar??

something startled Jasper yesterday and he jumped (all four paws off the ground) into the air -- and landed in the dry food bowl. I'm still cleaning up after that particular mishap. Meanwhile, Tigger has yet to see a piece of paper neatly folded or stacked that doesn't violate his own peculiar feline concept of 'order', which seems to rely heavily on paper being scattered across as wide a field as possible.

Well, at least life isn't dull!!!

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Fri June 19th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Very cute! I know that my 3 would figure that out pretty quick!

My youngest one, Mini Moo, has figured out to open doors (screen doors, cupboard doors, etc) so no food is safe now. We have had to find storage elsewhere for the dry food. I am glad that she won't be able to figure out cans or I might be in really big trouble! ;)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri June 19th, 2009, 4:25 pm

A colleague of mine tried one of these on her partner's cat, and yep, the cat managed to find a way to break into the feeder,and ate pretty much the whole lot in one go. She's also not averse to ripping open the big food bags they buy, her dad left one out on the unit and went out, and came back to find it ripped apart. I think when it comes to food, most animals figure it out eventually.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Fri June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm

I'll confess! I'm not a cat lover! Sorry!

I heard a comment on the BBC yesterday, when they were comparing the intelligence of cats vs that of dogs. 'A dog has an owner. A cat has a servant,' Discuss!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri June 19th, 2009, 5:22 pm

[quote=""Ken""] 'A dog has an owner. A cat has a servant,' Discuss![/quote]

Now isn't that the truth. I think I'll stick with the measured portions instead of that. I wasn't too impressed with those drinking fountains they sell.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri June 19th, 2009, 5:53 pm

Now there's a person after my own heart -- not the feeder, the name! I have a llama named Huascar. And also one named Pachacuti, and an Atahualpa, and a Huayna Capac.

Huascar was Inca when Pizarro landed in Peru the second time.

Now I wonder what made them choose that obscure name for their cat?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri June 19th, 2009, 6:33 pm

[quote=""Ken""]I'll confess! I'm not a cat lover! Sorry!

I heard a comment on the BBC yesterday, when they were comparing the intelligence of cats vs that of dogs. 'A dog has an owner. A cat has a servant,' Discuss![/quote]

Nothing to discuss. Cats know they rule the universe!

My cats use those and have been known to tip over the top to get at the food faster. They all know how to open cupboards, and we even had one who played balloon volleyball with us (this was way in the past before utube, otherwise the video would have been a keeper!)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri June 19th, 2009, 7:30 pm

[quote=""Ken""]I'll confess! I'm not a cat lover! Sorry!

I heard a comment on the BBC yesterday, when they were comparing the intelligence of cats vs that of dogs. 'A dog has an owner. A cat has a servant,' Discuss![/quote]

Actually I think most dog owners are also slaves to their pets, I know all our dogs have had us in their thrall, and now that we look after other people's dogs we see the same pattern! Some of our charges are real little divas....
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Fri June 19th, 2009, 9:04 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Even my tech guy can't get Windows Vista to work with Flash... so I'll never see it. I assume that the cat has figured out an incredibly creative way to get into the jar??

something startled Jasper yesterday and he jumped (all four paws off the ground) into the air -- and landed in the dry food bowl. I'm still cleaning up after that particular mishap. Meanwhile, Tigger has yet to see a piece of paper neatly folded or stacked that doesn't violate his own peculiar feline concept of 'order', which seems to rely heavily on paper being scattered across as wide a field as possible.

Well, at least life isn't dull!!![/quote]

Chatterbox - I'm running Vista and I can see it. Could it be your browser? I'm using Google Chrome.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Return to “Chat”