Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Genealogy

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Genealogy

Post by LoveHistory » Thu May 7th, 2009, 3:38 pm

I couldn't remember if we had this thread anywhere, but I thought this might be a good way for those of us who are interested to share resources.

My main family tree tracing project (when I have time) is trying to learn about the ancestral descent of the Richard Warren who came to America on the Mayflower.

Aside from England I also have ancestors from Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Luxembourg, and more.

My husband's family is Irish, English and German. I've only done preliminary research on that side.

I lost all my good links a while ago when my parents' computer crashed and the hard drive self-destructed, so I'm looking to rebuild my library of bookmarks.

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Thu May 7th, 2009, 3:51 pm

I did my geneology about 10 years ago before it started costing money to belong to various web sites. There are lots of books about the Mayflower pilgrims, as well as my ancestors, the earliest who was not a pilgrim, but a fisherman (John Woodbury, 1624). Many of the Mayflower folks, as well as the puritans, came from Somerset and Wales, which were hotbeds of religious discontent with the Church of England of the time.

As for links, these might be helpful: http://www.mayflowerhistory.com/Genealogy/genealogy.php
http://www.mayflowerhistory.com/Passeng ... Warren.php

The Latter Day Saints, who have researched everyone under the sun:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

Somerset church records:
http://www.westcountrygenealogy.com/somerset/

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Thu May 7th, 2009, 4:46 pm

I have been pestering my mom to come and join us here at HFO, because I think she'd enjoy it as much as I do. She is a retired librarian, and has been taking online courses for genealogy research for the past several years. I'm going to email this thread to her and see if I can't get her to step up. :D
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri May 8th, 2009, 12:22 am

There are two main sites if you are interested in Jewish genealogy: Jewish Gen, and Avotanu. I went to the Jewish Gen convention in SLC several years back, and actually found the manifest of the ship that my grandfather sailed on to America! Both groups have tons of resources. The Jewish Gen site has changed recently and is very user friendly

http://www.jewishgen.org/

http://www.avotaynu.com/

I started to research my parents families a few years before my mom died. At that time, her four closest cousins were still alive, as well as many second cousins. I was able to get lots of good information as well as photos, but there was so much I didn't know and still want to know. My advice - if you are interested in researching geneology, do it now! Contact other family members to see if others are working on it, and start interviewing family members now!
Last edited by Ash on Fri May 8th, 2009, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri May 8th, 2009, 1:49 am

I am going to be bugging all of you in a few months' to be sources for my genealogy book.... :D

Nathaniel Philbrick's book about the Mayflower is quite good. The Mayflower society has good resources. If your ancestry is Mayfloweresque, the New England Historical & Genealogical Society is a fabulous resource, with oodles of stuff online for a relatively modest membership fee. The people there are also great. Unlike the free stuff online at the LDS site, the NEHGS is relatively reliable.

I'm pretty much solidly Celtic. Scottish (names include McGee, Pollock, Fraser, Guthrie, McCaw); Protestant Irish (thus evil to Irish nationalists -- I have even had people hiss at me -- names include Duke, Burchell, Mills, Mayberry) and Welsh (Thomas & Jones, natch). One Norwegian great-grandmother (Christiansen), some Boston Puritans (Carpenter, Chase, Wilmarth, Titus) through whom I'm connected to the Tiffanys of Tiffany's and the Hemingways, back in the 18th century. As Gary Boyd Roberts said, really rather boring! (by his standards at least, which is fine by me.)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri May 8th, 2009, 2:44 am

What the Mayflower society tells people varies based on who is in charge.

Thanks for the links Sarah and Ash. I'll try to check them out tomorrow.

rex icelingas
Reader

Post by rex icelingas » Fri May 8th, 2009, 9:08 am

Ive studied my Own Geneaology
But Im quite obsessed with Ancient Geneaologies and Pedigrees particuarly those of Britain and Ireland,foremostly Wales.
There are a surfeit of websites out there with some very eyebrow raising claims of Succession and whatever.
If anyone is interested in knowing more or needs some help :)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri May 8th, 2009, 1:15 pm

Ok, no proof of royalty for Richard Warren, but...some pretty interesting relatives.

"Among his descendants are: Civil War general and U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant, President Franklin D. Roosevelt,[1] astronaut Alan Shepard,[1] author Laura Ingalls Wilder, actor Richard Gere, actress Joanne Woodward, writers Henry David Thoreau and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Lavinia Warren (the wife of "General Tom Thumb"), aviator Amelia Earhart, actor Orson Welles, United States Secretary of State William Jennings Bryan, the Wright Brothers, Tonight Show host Johnny Carson, chef Julia Child, Irish President Erskine Hamilton Childers, inventor Lee DeForest, and many more."

I'm going to see if I can trace Elizabeth's ancestry, since Richard's parents are unknown.

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Fri May 8th, 2009, 6:45 pm

What is really fascinating to me is the 'why' of it all--what was the individual decision point that made each person get on that boat and come to America? I'm sure they'd think we take our lives in our hands every time we get into a car, but to sail here?

As I was doing my geneology, I discovered that I am Welsh, English, Scots, and Scots Irish, and Irish, all of whom undoubtedly hated each other at one time. I have tories and revolutionaries who fought each other in the American Revolution, I have Scots on both sides of Culloden, and yet, here I am . . . . not to mention my kids whose ancestry is German, Dutch, Native American, and English, all from my husband's side. There are so many stories there . . .

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri May 8th, 2009, 7:43 pm

People had to have very compelling reasons to leave everything they knew behind and spend months at sea headed toward a place that almost no one knew anything about. A lot of the men left wives and children behind because even the journey itself was dangerous. Then there was the whole "after we get there can we survive?" aspect.

Return to “Chat”