Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This is scary

Ash
Bibliomaniac

This is scary

Post by Ash » Sun May 3rd, 2009, 1:30 am

Someone actually asked this question in the 'ask and answer' section of our newspaper:

Where did the term "mid evil" come from?

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Sun May 3rd, 2009, 2:50 am

Question

[quote=""Ash""] Where did the term "mid evil" come from? [/quote]

Answer

Neither the shallowest levels of hell, nor the deepest. Being of the middling ranks of hell, becomes the middling ranks of evil.

:eek: :eek :O r really appalling educational levels. :eek: :eek:
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun May 3rd, 2009, 2:52 am

Good answer, Lauryn.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun May 3rd, 2009, 1:54 pm

Ye Gods. Although I've seen some whoppers from the sales staff on occasion. It's scary to think of the stuff they send out that they don't let us proof first.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun May 3rd, 2009, 6:24 pm

Hey, at least they are asking! I smell the prospect of another HF reader in the makng. All depends on how the question is answered, though.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun May 3rd, 2009, 7:12 pm

[quote=""MLE""]Hey, at least they are asking! I smell the prospect of another HF reader in the makng. All depends on how the question is answered, though.[/quote]

The answer:

You know, a lot of times people ask me if I make up these questions. That's one reason I always save the e-mailed or handwritten originals for a few days or so, so I can prove to anybody who challenges it that it's for real.

It isn't "mid evil."

Medieval, used to describe the Middle Ages, dates from the early 19th century. It is an amalgamation of the Latin words "medium" (middle) and "aevum" (age).

The Middle Ages, or medieval years, are generally considered to be the time between the fifth and 16th centuries.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun May 3rd, 2009, 8:32 pm

I guess we're living in the new Dark Ages ;)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon May 4th, 2009, 1:52 am

In April, 94 visitors came to my website via a Google search for "medevil normans." It was the #4 search term after "historical novels," "best historical novels" and "historical novel." I'm mystified - though happy to welcome them! The correct spelling of medieval was way down the list, with 6 visitors arriving via a search for "medieval historical novels."
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon May 4th, 2009, 2:52 am

Ah yes, spelling is a problem. I had to resist the urge to name my website anything with 'renaissance' -- because the truth is, hardly anybody can spell it right off the top of their head!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon May 4th, 2009, 3:25 pm

Hmm. Maybe I should add some new search tags for my books. :D

Return to “Chat”