Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu January 15th, 2009, 7:06 pm

[quote=""EC2""]As far as I know, they are banned in the UK due to the issue you describe LCW.
In my experience there is virtually no such thing as a bad dog, (I say virtually, because there must be the extremely rare occasional one), just bad owners. People look at our pooch and say 'I wish mine was as well behaved as yours.' Well their could be, if they went about training it right. Ours is a small collie cross, although goodness knows crossed what with. But he is never, ever on a lead unless he has to be by law. He waits at road junctions. He sits outside shops without moving. He's instantly obedient and under control in all situations and it's down to being properly trained. Okay, the collie blood makes for good aptitude, but it's still possible with most dogs.
Good luck with yours. Fingers crossed you get your wish! :) [/quote]

Thanks, EC! I'm sooo excitied that I can't stand it, lol! Presas are actually legal in the UK as they're not one of the four breeds banned. There are even several breeders there. But, just like here in the UK, the British breed ban is getting a lot of resistance and groups are actually having success with getting lawmaker support to overturn it. Specific breed bans don't work and by only addressing particular breeds it doesn't cover dogs of "safe" breeds that bite and injure people. Nevermind that if you ban one breed the lowlifes will just pick another one to make up for...um...smaller things! :rolleyes:
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu January 15th, 2009, 7:39 pm

[quote=""LCW""]Thanks, EC! I'm sooo excitied that I can't stand it, lol! Presas are actually legal in the UK as they're not one of the four breeds banned. There are even several breeders there. But, just like here in the UK, the British breed ban is getting a lot of resistance and groups are actually having success with getting lawmaker support to overturn it. Specific breed bans don't work and by only addressing particular breeds it doesn't cover dogs of "safe" breeds that bite and injure people. Nevermind that if you ban one breed the lowlifes will just pick another one to make up for...um...smaller things! :rolleyes: [/quote]

Ah, I'm obviously getting Presas confused with pitbulls - sorry! :o
My sister in law is having problems with her middle-aged West Highland White at the moment. He bit her baby grand-daughter a couple of weeks ago, but he's been fine up until now. Sis in law is not the brightest tool in the box . She just thinks 'Oh the dog's turned nasty' end of story, but of course there's a reason for it and she needs to look at the deeper issues. My FIL's Springer spaniel was a terrible puller on his lead when he came to stay with us for 3 days some time ago and by the time he went back to FIL, he was as good as gold. I have to say that it's my dh in our partnership who's the 'dog whisperer'. He can get most dogs to do anything he wants very quickly and they seem to have an immediate rapport with him. I get on fine with them but my abilities are just average; however I reap the benefits of his talent!
Do send us pics once you have your dog!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu January 15th, 2009, 8:30 pm

For the first time in about 2 1/2 years we have heat throughout the whole house. The new furnace got finished today and the house is heating up. The downside the 100gals of oil was 293 and change :P

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

xiaotien
Reader

Post by xiaotien » Thu January 15th, 2009, 10:19 pm

i sent my ARCs out to marg and amanda in
australia! =D had a great second chiro session, too.
don't knock it till you try it!
SILVER PHOENIX : Beyond the Kingdom of Xia
greenwillow / harpercollins summer '09

cindypon.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri January 16th, 2009, 10:14 am

I don't have to go to work for 2 weeks! Yay!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri January 16th, 2009, 12:12 pm

I love your choice of name LCW, please post pics when you get him!

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Fri January 16th, 2009, 6:09 pm

Woke up early this morning to seven below (F) temperatures.. and no water. And instant panic thinking the pipes were frozen. Only to have water kick in after I left the taps open for a minute -- seems there was an air bubble in the system due to the extreme cold.

Now granted. A truly good thing is having the water flow as normal. But it did raise my appreciation for something I normally take for granted.

Plus I have the day off and it would have been a poor way to spend the day trying to figure out how to thaw pipes. Instead I get to putter on the 'puter and read, read, read.

And eat.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri January 16th, 2009, 6:13 pm

The kids behaved so well this morning while the teacher was here. Of course that doesn't help to give her an idea of what it's usually like, but it was very nice. Also, it looks like it might even get above zero today. (heat wave!)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri January 16th, 2009, 6:15 pm

[quote=""gyrehead""]Woke up early this morning to seven below (F) temperatures.. and no water. And instant panic thinking the pipes were frozen. Only to have water kick in after I left the taps open for a minute -- seems there was an air bubble in the system due to the extreme cold.

Now granted. A truly good thing is having the water flow as normal. But it did raise my appreciation for something I normally take for granted.

Plus I have the day off and it would have been a poor way to spend the day trying to figure out how to thaw pipes. Instead I get to putter on the 'puter and read, read, read.

And eat.[/quote]

Ooh! I know how to thaw pipes! Also know a few ways to help prevent the freezing. Growing up in an old house has it's advantages. Our water has only frozen three times since we moved, and we always got it back within a few hours.
Last edited by LoveHistory on Fri January 16th, 2009, 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed ambiguity and typo

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 17th, 2009, 6:57 pm

Yay! Finally have permission to walk (although still use the walker outside the home). Made it down the stairs, to the car (thank goodness it started after six weeks cold), to the library and home and back up the stairs with no mishaps. Independence is returning :) :) :)

Return to “Chat”