Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sun November 16th, 2008, 11:54 am

Today I restored my karma! We have a walk in wardrobe that is also the acess route to our en-suite. Last year I had doors and shelves put in as it was always looking a mess! This week, my inner karma has been disturbed by the state of said robes, untidy and overflowing into the 'space'. Today, I got Phil to help me tidy it (it was his mess too!), and I tidied, cleared and sorted! My inner karma is restored!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon November 17th, 2008, 3:05 am

the best thing today is that it is over! I'm not sure whether to post in 'the best' or 'the worst' but my weekend went like this:
Saturday: prepare for daughter-in-law's baby shower (I'm hosting) and stop in the middle to go to Northern California Re-enactor's Winter Feast. Fantastic feast, I plan to sneak out early and go finish the shower food when a friend sprains/breaks? her ankle dancing. I'm the only one with a car who's sober, so I run her up to the Emergency. At midlnight we are finally out of there, and I have a house guest.

Which is just as well; I put her to work making cucumber sandwiches after church next morning along with another friend who thankfully came early to pitch in. Meanwhile the neighbor has a heart attack, so the dh has to run him to the emergency room.
Things weren't entirely ready by the time the guests arrived, but it didn't matter and a good time was had by all. So that's a best thing.

I'm pooped. think I'll go bury myself in a book. That's a best thing.
Oh, and EC, I'm now on the greatest knight. That's a best thing.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon November 17th, 2008, 11:50 am

Wow. That is a lot to have going on at one time. Hope your neighbour makes a full recovery.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Mon November 17th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Yesterday was my birthday and my fiance surprised me with a fabulous gift. He gift wrapped a big huge cookbook. I love and collect cookbooks but was a little shocked to get one as a b'day gift...esp. from him. Still he had a look on his face like he expected me to love it so I didn't want to dissapoint him and said thank you and that I love it. It was a really nice cookbook!!!

But then he got out his car keys and told me to go check the back of his SUV! He has dark tinted window so I couldn't see but when I opened it there was a top of the line Kitchen Aid mixer that I've been wanting for ages! I thought I was getting it for Christmas but, surprise, I got it early! Too cool!!! I'm soo thrilled and can't wait to get to baking with it! Woohoo!!! Bonus points for the fiance today!!! :D
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon November 17th, 2008, 4:58 pm

Happy birthday for yesterday, LCW! Glad you got some nice pressies.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon November 17th, 2008, 5:36 pm

Happy birthday Lila.

The boss is off climbing another mountain so he'll be out of our hair for about a month, dependent on weather and climbing conditions.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon November 17th, 2008, 6:06 pm

Yes, LCW, happy b-day from me too!

I'll even write you out our traditional family birthday song (sung to the tune of 'Volga Boatmen's song)

It's your Birthday,
Happy Birthday,
Death destruction and despair,
people dying everywhere,
It's your Birthday,
Happy Birthday.

Repeat as needed.
Did I mention that we have a twisted sense of humor?

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Mon November 17th, 2008, 6:46 pm

Woaw LCW what a great fiance you have !
and Happy Birthday by the way !!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon November 17th, 2008, 7:44 pm

Happy Birthday!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon November 17th, 2008, 10:38 pm

Many happy returns of the day!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Chat”