Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu December 11th, 2008, 4:13 am

[quote=""Divia""]Um... :o On the Kitchen table under the gifts for the family I adopted!

Oh yay! Money is always sweet![/quote]

Isn't it always in the last place you look? Of course if it was in the first place you looked that would still be the last place you looked! I know I'm silly!

So I ordered 2 more CDs for Harm to get with the 3 I already ordered her, and mom a "Do Not Meddle in the Affairs of Dragons For You Are Crunchy and Taste Good With Ketchup" with an image of a Dragon (some don't have one), and a 8 GB flash drive for me. I also got Jasper (our dog) this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2751252 A Petmate Le Bistro Waterer.

There's not really a lot I want. I rarely buy a book new unless it's one I know won't be in paperback or is about Jane, and any used book I order might not be here in time for Christmas, so I'll just order those later.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Thu December 11th, 2008, 6:41 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Today the mail came a little early and with it was a card from my Dad, and inside the card was a check for.....$600!

Now we have to decide what else to buy for Christmas!

SM[/quote]

Woaw, that's great SonjaMarie !!

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu December 11th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Not today, but on Tuesday evening we had the second meeting of the HF book group that I started up. There were only five of us, but that's an improvement on the three last time, and was certainly a large enough group for an enjoyable and lively discussion.

(The book, "The Last English King", was received well by all; everyone liked or loved it, though we acknowledged it had some flaws.)

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Thu December 11th, 2008, 5:16 pm

I received the drop-dead gorgeous hard cover proof for my long delayed novel, Rocamora.

I green lighted it, and now more waiting, first the printing and next its appearance on Amazon, B&N, and other on line sites and in Books in Print.

The wait is worth it of course.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Thu December 11th, 2008, 5:35 pm

It snowed this morning! LOL

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue December 16th, 2008, 2:28 am

Got my copy of "The Sisters Who Would Be Queen: The Tragedy of Mary, Katherine, and Lady Jane Grey" with a note from the author, Leanda de Lisle.

I am in the process of reading four books at the moment and won't have time to read it until I get some of these finished. When I do get to read it, I'll try take notes and write a review.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue December 16th, 2008, 5:54 am

In spite of the rain, the dh and I did our usual 3-mile morning walk up the hill south of us. And on the way back down, a perfect rainbow arced right over the trail. It's the first time I've walked under a rainbow!

KingEricCantona7
Scribbler

Post by KingEricCantona7 » Thu December 18th, 2008, 5:04 pm

I just received my copy of Worldwide Soccer Manager 09 and all of my free time is now reserved for the foreseeable future.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu December 18th, 2008, 5:47 pm

Holiday pot luck luncheon for us subject librarians! :)

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu December 18th, 2008, 6:55 pm

I'm puppy sitting for my daughters boyfriend's new puppy (I actually think he bought it for her though - but it's staying at his house). It is so cute - barely 8 weeks old with a fat little tummy and wobbly little short legs. A fuzzy litttle black mutt adopted from the local shelter. it keeps nibbling on my fingers and toes. Needless to say, I am getting very little done today. But there's not much that's cuter than a puppy. Tanzy's not very happy about the intruder however.

Return to “Chat”