Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri July 31st, 2009, 5:30 pm

my husband is finally getting knee surgery, it's a best thing cause of the fact that he's needed it for at least the last two or three years. we're scheduled for Aug 10 for a full knee replacement, yeah it's that bad but glad it's getting fixed.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri July 31st, 2009, 5:41 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Ahhhhh, our wonderful northwest marine layer has kicked in. It's still 60 degrees.

:) :) :)[/quote]

63 right now (10:41am), I might have to turn the fan off for awhile!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat August 1st, 2009, 3:21 pm

Out of the dinosaur age, this is my first month with laser statements instead of the d*** Okidata printer with all that racket, edges to tear and and paper to separate. Heaven :) ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat August 1st, 2009, 4:21 pm

I found a positive review (from January) for my novella, on one of the biggest Jane Austen sites on the internet. That was cool.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat August 1st, 2009, 8:33 pm

Whew! My sister and family of 4 just left. I was glad to host sis and give her a bit of a break, as she has MS and things are getting harder for her. But watching the brother-in-law absolutely refuse to discipline the 8-year-old grandson they are raising simply makes me cringe.

Fortunately, his behavior on our premises gave us logical reason to put in a little training. Unfortunately, he damaged several things and got away with behavior that I would not encourage in my puppy, let alone a human being.

Time to go put the place back together and take a nap.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun August 2nd, 2009, 12:31 pm

I have had a really good weekend.

Yesterday I went for lunch at a very nice winery the other side of the city. Good food and wine and company. Then last night I went out with a friend who won $2500 on the pokies. Unfortunately I didn't, but it was interesting to watch all the people in the place. You can definitely see why people get hooked.

Today I met up with an online friend who has just been to Melbourne and we wandered around a market and the bookstores and then had chocolate treats!

All in all, very pleasant. Now I have to try and fit in some housework before I got to bed tonight.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 3:33 pm

Last night, I met a schoolteacher from over 30 years ago and she remembered me! (I was in the audience at the recording of a radio show featuring comedian Matt Lucas, who was at the same school as me, as was his writing partner and they obviously kept in touch with some of the teachers at the school.) Brought back lots of happy memories.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 8:18 pm

I won an auction of an old British kids magazine "Arthur Mee's 1000 Heroes" (part 15) that has a section on Lady Jane Grey. It has an illustration of her with her two sisters, and as a collector this is something I have yet to see and am thrilled to finally get one!

Also "Versailles: A Biography of a Palace" arrived today, yeah!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Tue August 4th, 2009, 2:02 am

Got checks for three articles at once today, which is great news. Now I have $ for the rent in September and will pick up the tab at dinner on Weds with a friend who just lost her job.

I was able to connect two friends who have NF book ideas with my agent, which is a good, warm fuzzy feeling. If it works out, he gets 15% and they get their book in print, and everybody is happy. (and maybe I'll rack up a bit of good karma).

Wednesday, I'm going in to talk to some folks who contacted me about "full time contract" blogging about Wall Street. They actually reached out to me, which was flattering. Not sure I want something full-time full-time (if you see what I mean), but if it could work out to 20 hours a week, that would be a good gig.

So, lotsa good stuff, which is nice. Except for the toothache, which isn't, but I'm hoping it will stop soon.

(SM, you should have another book arriving shortly; it went out on Friday...)

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue August 4th, 2009, 2:04 am

CB: cool, I'm awaiting a lot of books, 2 from BF, 2 from Amazon, 2 from Amazon sellers, and the book from you.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Return to “Chat”