Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu October 4th, 2012, 8:45 pm

Running into someone at an event who had read my first novel in beta, passed on to her by a friend FIVE YEARS ago! I mentioned I raised llamas, and she started in on this book she had read about the Incas -- loved it, and still had it on the shelf. (Disclaimer: that version was not all that great-- I had just started learning the difference between putting words together nicely and keeping the reader on the edge of her seat.) But still, it was a boost. And since there are not that many copies out there, what are the odds?

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Thu October 4th, 2012, 11:39 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]If I may, I'm pretty sure Sid was sending you her love with that rainbow. Everytime I see a rainbow, I think of my companions who are no longer here but I will see again someday which brings comfort.[/quote]

Hee. That is a nice thought. Actually, while we were all standing by the window, one of the men on my team said, "it reminds you what's really important" and started talking about watching the sunset with his son. This man in no way reminds me of my dad in personality or anything, but his immense love of being a father and husband RADIATES from him, it just pours out of him. In that way, he is familiar to me; my dad was like that. My coworker is a fine, fine person, and his reminder about keeping perspective was a real blessing.

MLE, that's a fab story, an what a great moment!

My great fantasy as a writer is being the dusty book some kid picks up out of boredom when he's spending a summer at some horrid old great aunt's house with nothing to do. I know the dread condition of juvenile boredom has been electronically outlawed and (theoretically) obliterated by the implantation of gaming systems into every single child's hands 24/7 since the 1990s ... but all the better for *dreaming* ... ;)
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat October 6th, 2012, 11:15 pm

[quote=""DianeL""]
My great fantasy as a writer is being the dusty book some kid picks up out of boredom when he's spending a summer at some horrid old great aunt's house with nothing to do. I know the dread condition of juvenile boredom has been electronically outlawed and (theoretically) obliterated by the implantation of gaming systems into every single child's hands 24/7 since the 1990s ... but all the better for *dreaming* ... ;) [/quote]

The setting: post-apocalypse. The time: 2500 AD (or CE if you want to get PC). The scene: an attic in an Indiana farmhouse.

A young boy (or girl, doesn't matter which really) is rummaging through poly-carbon storage cubes in an attempt to find something to do. Numerous small rectangular devices which no longer work in a world sans-electricity have been discarded after use as target practice. At the bottom of one cube is a rectangle of paper and ink. An ancient amusement device of unknown origin. Flipping open the archaic cover flap, the child reads the following words: this book is a work of fiction. A book! Granny used to tell stories about these things, but he/she never believed they existed. Here is proof. Now to see what magical lure they used to hold, and test whether that value could still exist in the year 2500.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sun October 7th, 2012, 3:09 am

Got the new game I ordered for my b-day in the post. And watched a nice classic movie.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sun October 7th, 2012, 3:37 pm

LH, I adore you. :D (May I post that on my blog?)

Yesterday I spent some hours meeting dog after dog after dog - one (fairly shady, actually) breeding farm a friend of mine had worked at for years, and two adoption stands. I met only one girl who made me go all gooey - and was surprised but SO pleased when she turned out to be utterly indifferent to the presence of cats. There are two more I would be interested in meeting; waiting for calls back and for my applications to be reviewed. But the one I met is the front runner right now.

Today, dinner with friends who are lovely and wonderful people (the ones who got a dog after they met my beautiful Siddy, actually - her "godson"!).

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon October 8th, 2012, 2:19 am

Of course you may, Diane. You inspired it after all. :)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon October 8th, 2012, 11:58 pm

:P

Thank you, LH.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue October 9th, 2012, 4:54 am

Birthday exploring (even if I had to cut it short for class.)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue October 9th, 2012, 11:21 pm

I smell cake ... :)

Happy birthday, Nefret!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue October 9th, 2012, 11:26 pm

Yesterday really I guess. Saw Ben's new doctor and she switched him to the intensive program his father is on. It means more shots but it also means more flexibility--like being able to eat some cake to celebrate his little sister's birthday last night. It's also better long-term for preventing or delaying complications, and hopefully will provide better control of his blood sugars on a day-to-day basis.

Return to “Chat”