Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu September 8th, 2011, 1:02 pm

Congrats Diane! That is awesome news!!
Brenna

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu September 8th, 2011, 2:34 pm

Wow. That's a fantastic development, Diane.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu September 8th, 2011, 3:03 pm

Way to go, Diane! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu September 8th, 2011, 7:12 pm

We finally got the bank to agree to our price on the foreclosed house next door! The thing has been abandoned for more than two years, and it was an eyesore. Now we are going to have to work like mad to get the condemned dump up to code and into rentable condition -- but the whole block is relieved. And so are we -- we were afraid some slumlord-type investor would buy it and pack it with people.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu September 8th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Amazing Diane! Congratulations!

Glad your bid was accepted, MLE.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Thu September 8th, 2011, 9:02 pm

Fab news Diane, good luck! Great news for you too MLE :)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sat September 10th, 2011, 2:52 am

Excellent news for your neighborhood, MLE!

Thanks to you and all for your good wishes. This guy reps some serious hitters, the agency has the best WRITTEN site I have ever seen, and his response to me was wonderfully discursive, specific, tempered, and smart. He started off with a wonderful tangent about reading Cahill six years ago, leading up to discovering my own MC just three days before, and called my query as well timed as it could be. Then he threw around some rather excellent and not at all unwelcome tough love and finished by saying, "I'd be crazy to take this on even if it's great. But I've done crazy things before."

It was, I have to say, the single most amazing response I've received yet. And this on the undorned query letter ALONE - no bio, no synopsis, no sample, nothing.

I still have at least 30 agents on my research list - and my Conference is in four weeks (agent meeting confirmed several weeks ago), but ANY response from this guy was about enough to turn me into a hyperventilating ninny. I actually waited a day - and seriously worked on a smart, market-savvy response - before sending him the document, just to make sure I would not be all dribbly and silly over his writing me.

It would be a stupendous thrill, honor, and coup to get this agent. So fingers crossed. But still pounding away!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue September 13th, 2011, 1:40 pm

Out walking to get some lunch today, I bent down suddenly to do up my trailing shoe lace. This prompted the man behind me to almost trip up, at which he audibly swore at me as he walked away.

I know it's not much and I know it's trivial and mean-spirited of me, but it made my afternoon. He didn't look a nice person, and life can be so sh*t at times, I've got to get my kicks where I can...

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue September 13th, 2011, 1:51 pm

A few weeks back, my employer's insurer offered to give employees who went for a "wellness" examination a $50 gift certificate. Seeing the prospect of $50 worth of books, I naturally went. After a screw-up involving my e-mail address, I finally got my Barnes and Noble certificate yesterday and had it spent in five minutes.

(And I passed the wellness examination too. The Coke and Pizza Diet was vindicated.)
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue September 13th, 2011, 2:39 pm

You both crack me up and made by day! Sweetpotatoboy, I'm glad you can laugh about those things-they just make me feel very sad.

Boswell-there has been talk about doing that at my work too, but I don't think $50 was offered. Me thinks I need to speak with our Executive Director :D
Brenna

Return to “Chat”