Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat February 21st, 2009, 10:19 pm

Leyland: LOL!

Since Dec 07 we had built up over 90 in Gift Certs for the island's only Chinese Restaurant, we never seem to get there last year, so we went all out today cause we also wanted food for the Oscars tomorrow. Even with as much food we got we still had 13.98 left on the gift cert and then I had to put the tip on my CC.

Nice day.

Later I'll be watching the Independent Spirit Awards on DVR. I'll post the winners later.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 8:08 pm

I had a totally awesome weekend, but I am so tired this morning! It's going to be a struggle to get through the day today.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon February 23rd, 2009, 12:47 pm

Had a pretty busy Sunday. Went to a local book group for the first time (well it's only their second meeting) and really enjoyed it. We easily chatted for two hours about the book (Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale). It actually made me appreciate more the complexity and skill of what the author had done, but it didn't change my view that I hadn't found it particularly engaging.
It also surprised me somewhat how much the participants were talking about the characters as if they were real people, examining every aspect of the lives. I had to sometimes interject to move the discussion towards an examination of the construction of the book and why the author had made certain decisions.
Some of them stayed afterwards for further chat and dinner at the pub where we met. I would have liked to, but I had plans for dinner already.
The next book they have chosen is "The Language Instinct" by Steven Pinker, a book I read when it came out years ago and wasn't that struck on. But I would like to find time to re-read it as this was such a nice group I would like to get involved in.
For the following month, they have chosen "Sleeping with Cats", a memoir by Marge Piercy.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed February 25th, 2009, 1:40 am

Ordered a new mattress from Overstock a few days ago and it arrived today, yeah!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed February 25th, 2009, 4:27 am

Watching many episodes of "Digging for the Truth". (Great show.) :D

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu February 26th, 2009, 2:53 am

Books arrived today!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu February 26th, 2009, 10:04 am

I went bowling with my work mates tonight and had a good time! At least it got me out of my bad mood!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Fri February 27th, 2009, 5:13 am

Had a really good Pilates session this morning! It is the first one I have been allowed to do it all since my back went into spasm the other week. Felt good!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

enelya
Reader

Post by enelya » Fri February 27th, 2009, 5:38 am

I am going to visit the museum of ancient history today, with my best friends two oldest boys.They are 7 and 9 and lookig forward to seeing mummies, lol

Richard
Reader

Post by Richard » Fri February 27th, 2009, 1:18 pm

After completely giving up on ever hearing from the gentleman, I got an email this morning from a very well-known historian who has agreed to take a look at some sections of my book!
How did an 800-year-old headless corpse transform Venice from a backwater
into the greatest sea-empire of the early Middle Ages? Find out at,

Return to “Chat”