Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Latin Help

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Latin Help

Post by Volgadon » Mon March 30th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Do we have anyone that has studied Latin seriously? I have a question about the word pax. I got into an argument with someone who claims that pax originally meant a fence post. He supplied this snippet from his Latin professor. How true is the following statement?

"Here's the etymology of pax ("peace"). It comes from a verb base *pag- (cf. pango "to fix a stake in the ground") which meant "to settle land disputes by affixing markers in the ground to determine boundaries." To me, this shows the importance of settling land disputes in early Indo-European justice systems. The moving or removal of boundary stones was a source of great conflict in early Mesopotamia, too."

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Mon March 30th, 2009, 9:59 pm

Well, I am certainly no expert, (I studied Latin for 'A' level but have forgotten a lot of it and keep meaning to go back to it!) and I remember hearing the same thing about 'pax' and posts or boundary markers...It makes sense, doesn't it, to bring the concrete idea of a post before the abstract idea of peace...

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon March 30th, 2009, 10:58 pm

If you've ever lived in farm country you know how important the establishment of boundaries is for keeping the peace. I can easily see the connection.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon March 30th, 2009, 11:56 pm

This brings to mind Robert Frost's poem Mending Wall with its line, "Good fences make good neighbors."

http://www.bartleby.com/104/64.html
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Tue March 31st, 2009, 10:02 am

I mknow that, but my question is does the word pax stem from the term for a fence post.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue March 31st, 2009, 12:37 pm

You could try the online etymological dictionary
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php
Then check out Pax and post. They suggest that Pax was the name of the Roman Goddess of peace. It's not conclusive, but you can perhaps get some peripheral evidence from there.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue March 31st, 2009, 3:12 pm

I am far from an expert and I have a lot of respect for academic linguists, but personally I find talk of Indo-European word roots too conjectural for comfort, however fascinating it may be.

There is no way we will ever know what certain words originally meant or where they came from. And I'm not sure that it really gets us anywhere. Words mean what people use them to mean. And if there's no connection in the minds of those using the words, then for all intents and purposes it isn't there.

Just my own tupporth!!

Return to “Chat”