Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

RIP Natasha Richardson

Melisende
Reader

Post by Melisende » Thu March 19th, 2009, 10:14 pm

And it was reported that she was up, walking and talking after the accident - then this tragedy..... My heart goes out to the family.
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu March 19th, 2009, 10:55 pm

You can never take a head injury too seriously. Terrible tragedy for her family.

Mello
Reader

Post by Mello » Thu March 19th, 2009, 11:22 pm

This is so sad. I saw on the news last night her husband and mother returning to their home surrounded by photographers and I thought how awful to have your grief on public display like that. Leave them in peace.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Fri March 20th, 2009, 2:43 am

I've found myself quite affected by her death this week. I've always been a fan; I loved her film work, and though I never saw her in person on stage, I did see a video of her incredible turn as Sally Bowles in "Cabaret." I especially loved her in "The White Countess," which I've seen several times. Likewise, I'm a fan of her mother and her sister's work.

More importantly, however, Natasha was a true and generous champion in the fight against AIDS, sitting on the Amfar board for years and lending her stature and time to several other HIV-related charities. She helped create and spearhead the massive "We All Have AIDS" campaign, which had a profound impact on a global level to raise awareness of the magnitude of the disease. I've spent the last fifteen years of my professional career in HIV work, and I can assure you, when it comes to the long haul celebrities like her are rare, indeed.

She always appeared so graceful and smiling; and so genuinely in love with her life, her family, and her career. Her death reminds us all of the utter fragility of life, and the often sudden randomness of death.

She will be missed, I think, by all those who knew her and all those who felt they knew her from afar.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Fri March 20th, 2009, 5:34 pm

I was reading Vanessa Redgrave's tributeto her daughter, and it just brings you to tears. What a great loss...
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri March 20th, 2009, 9:27 pm

What a lovely tribute, but all the better for the fact that it was written a couple of years ago so that her daughter could get to know her mother's thoughts before it was too late.

I loved the line where she said;
Both you and Joely have grown into the sort of women I'd like to be - wonderful cooks and wonderful mothers - women who really care about other people.
It's not often that you hear that kind of sentiment.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat March 21st, 2009, 1:14 am

my heart goes out to her family, liam looked so distraught. Hopefully the press leaves them alone to be with family.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat March 21st, 2009, 2:59 am

*sniff* Her mother sang her "Edelweiss" at her bedside as she lay dying. She'll be buried Sunday.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0717303/
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0717302/

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sat March 21st, 2009, 6:18 pm

I watched part of The Parent Trap last evening on a movie channel. It was much different watching it now that such a vibrant and lovely actress is tragically gone so suddenly. I know from personal experience (younger sister in 2007) what recovery from such an overwhelming shock requires - you never really will completely recover, of course. My heart is with her husband, children and immediate family for the months to come.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat March 21st, 2009, 6:20 pm

Liam was working on a movie in Canada when the accident happened. I do wonder if he'll drop out or if they'll give him enough time as he needs before coming back. If he hadn't shot that much maybe they should just recast it.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Chat”