Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cleopatra's sister

annis
Bibliomaniac

Cleopatra's sister

Post by annis » Sun March 15th, 2009, 7:13 pm

A while ago we had a discussion on books about Cleopatra and her possible racial ancestry- was she purely Macedonian Greek, or was there African blood in her make-up?
http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... =cleopatra

A recent discovery of the body o Cleo's sister Arsinoe appears to confirm the latter
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... gests.html

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun March 15th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Unless they shared the same mother, that actually doesn't tell us anything. Interesting though. Cleo the racist maybe?

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun March 15th, 2009, 8:08 pm

Thanks for sharing, Annis, this is so fascinating! I can't wait for the National Geographic story. Even though the analysis showed it was Arsinoë's mother who was black, not Cleopatra's, it does show that at least one pharaoh had a black wife, so is indirect evidence that other pharaohs in Cleopatra's ancestral line may also have had black wives, so it's very possible Cleopatra also was partly black. (Under the old U.S. "one-drop" rule that would mean she was black herself.)
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun March 15th, 2009, 8:52 pm

LoveHistory is quite right- in fact the story's headline is quite misleading as the examination of Arsinoe's bones only proves that she had African blood, so in fact we still don't know, (though suspect) that Cleo may have had some African blood. I think that Cleopatra did have sPersian/ Syrian ancestral links. In some ways her actual racial make-up is irelevant, but it's interesting to speculate what she might have looked like.

This is the photo-fit originally posted by Ash which has a go at it:
http://current.com/items/89634076/is_th ... d_like.htm

Interestingly, in many historical novels about Cleopatra, her sisiter Arsinoe is depicted as blonde.
Last edited by annis on Sun March 15th, 2009, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun March 15th, 2009, 10:52 pm

Oh! I didnt know that Cleopatra had a sister. Hmm. Interesting.

I never much thought about what color they were though. Its an interesting thought.

Isnt Michelle on some Egypt thing right now doing a special for some TV show?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Sun March 15th, 2009, 11:52 pm

There was not much love lost between Arsinoë and Cleopatra (nor between either of them and their brother Ptolemy). Another case of extreme sibling rivalry like we were talking about in another thread, where they do their best to get the other siblings killed off.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon March 16th, 2009, 9:07 am

[quote=""Divia""]Oh! I didnt know that Cleopatra had a sister. Hmm. Interesting.

I never much thought about what color they were though. Its an interesting thought.

Isnt Michelle on some Egypt thing right now doing a special for some TV show?[/quote]

She just posted today about getting back from Egypt where she did something with the Naked Archeologist. There's a post on her blog
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Mon March 16th, 2009, 5:53 pm

Ooh, she saw Petra. I would love to see Petra! I didn't know it existed until I saw the Indiana Jones film, and then I had no idea such a cool place could possibly real and not a figment of an unusually imaginative movie director's dreams.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat March 21st, 2009, 1:23 am

wasn't Cleopatra's father Roman? don't know much about her family just her escapade with good ole Ceasar and Antony

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat March 21st, 2009, 1:37 am

Posted by Nona
wasn't Cleopatra's father Roman?
Though she obviously had a penchant for Romans ( certainly she found them useful in furthering her ambitions) Cleopatra's father was Ptolemy XII, a descendant of the Macedonian Greek general who became ruler of Egypt after the death of his leader Alexander the Great, 300 years before Cleo's birth. The Ptolemiac dynasty attempted to keep the bloodline pure, to the degree of intermarriage between brothers and sisters.
Last edited by annis on Sat March 21st, 2009, 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Chat”