Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Anyone here on Twitter?

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Mon January 24th, 2011, 12:45 pm

[QUOTE=Leyland;22404]I have yet to tweet on twitter. [QUOTE]

What I want to know is why it isn't 'to twitter' on Twitter. One doesn't say 'Listen to the tweet of that twittering bird', one says 'the twitter of that twittering bird'. *confused pedant sighs*

I'm soooooo with you, Annis, on the white noise and the need to avoid it. As for advertising oneself on Twitter, well one (and I have this from a friend who has a restaurant and 'twitters' to advertise it) needs to be 'twittering' several times a day about whatever to make it worthwhile. Got too much to do to be bothered, thanks!
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

N. Gemini Sasson
Reader

Post by N. Gemini Sasson » Mon January 24th, 2011, 10:55 pm

I'm on Twitter ( @NGeminiSasson), but I tend to dip in and out as life allows. When I'm busy, it's often one of the last things I look at. Plus, I don't have a fancy cell phone, so I'm tied to my computer for Twitter. I don't think it's a neccesity by any means, but it is one way to make connections.

Can't remember where I heard this, but someone compared Twitter to a river that's constantly flowing. You shouldn't feel the need to be on there constantly and of course you're going to miss a lot, but you will pick up some news here and there and maybe connect with a few new friends.

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Tue January 25th, 2011, 12:58 pm

[quote=""wendy""]I'm at: wendykperriman[/quote]

I'm happy to join a HF nub but I should add that I use it very selectively.
It's my "public voice" so I only tweet about writing (or when so over-excited by the Duke basketball team that I can't help myself!)
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Elysium
Reader

Post by Elysium » Tue January 25th, 2011, 9:49 pm

I'm Elysianfield there but don't use it that often.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu January 27th, 2011, 7:04 am

I tweet under the name
Dragontangoat50 since my usual handle was already taken. (foo!)

lauragill
Avid Reader

Twitter

Post by lauragill » Mon October 31st, 2011, 1:46 am

Is anyone else on Twitter? I tweet as Orestes Agamemnonides(oresteshighking). I'd love for you to come over and see how the House of Atreus celebrates Halloween (#atreidhalloween), or just hang out for a Bronze Age-themed laugh. I started tweeting as Orestes when writing The Young Lion, as a way to get into my protagonist's head, and just have a good time with Atreid angst.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon October 31st, 2011, 2:33 am

I joined Twitter, but I really haven't figured out what to do with it yet. I'm just getting used to facebook.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon October 31st, 2011, 2:49 am

Same here, I just do not get Twitter.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon October 31st, 2011, 9:56 am

I'm on Twitter but do find it a bit odd. I use it mainly for information. I sometimes feel that I'm repeating myself! It's difficult to keep up with, too, depending upon how many people you're following.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Mon October 31st, 2011, 10:02 am

It took me a while to figure out how Twitter worked and what to do with it, but I enjoy the interaction and playacting. I really don't use social media to share personal details, because it doesn't seem smart in this digital age. It amazes me how much personal info people give out. I would never post pictures of my kids (if I had them) online, or pictures of myself. I've interacted with some people for ten years or more, and they STILL don't know what I look like.
Last edited by lauragill on Mon October 31st, 2011, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: na

Return to “Chat”