Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? May 2022

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
princess garnet
Bibliophile

What Are You Reading? May 2022

Post by princess garnet » Mon May 2nd, 2022, 1:39 am

Share your reads for this month!

Finished:
Crossed Lines by Jennifer Delamere ("Love Along the Wires" #2)

Our Lady of Mysterious Ailments by T.L. (Tendai) Huchu ("Edinburgh Nights" #2)

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Re: What Are You Reading? May 2022

Post by Nefret » Tue May 3rd, 2022, 1:20 pm

I'm reading Alexander the Great- His Life and His Mysterious Death by Anthony Everitt (NF).
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat May 7th, 2022, 4:26 pm

I was disappointed with my last book, so will try an old friend, the Rivers of London series, as I still haven't read False Value.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sun May 8th, 2022, 6:33 pm

Started A Perilous Perspective by Anna Lee Huber
New and #10 in the "Lady Darby Mystery" series! Kiera and Sebastian are in Argyll, Scotland for a family wedding.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon May 9th, 2022, 8:02 am

I’m still reading Cunning Women by Elizabeth Lee, a story about witches set in the 17thC. I had to put it down temporarily whilst I read another review book which had a read by date on it! I do get myself in a muddle sometimes, juggling books.

I’m also reading The Fields by Erin Young via Pigeonhole. It’s a thriller set in Iowa. I don’t think it’s quite to my liking. I’m finding it a bit slow with too many political bits.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

akhlaw12
Currently reading: The Personal Librarian
Interest in HF: I loved watching Westerns and Victorian books when I was a child. I felt "at home" and "at peace" whenever I watched a movie that had many "old" periods of time. I've also been interested in time travel novels. I am most interested in historical romances.
Favourite HF book: the Janette Oke "Love Comes Softly" book series
Preferred HF: Historical Romance

Post by akhlaw12 » Wed May 25th, 2022, 4:30 am

Hello Everyone: I'm currently reading "The Personal Librarian" by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray. The story is based on the life of Belle De Costa Greene, JP Morgan's personal librarian. Very good story (so far). It's the kind of book that makes you want to just read a little at a time because you don't want it to end, ya know? Anyway, I'm enjoying it immensely. I like the historical references of location, social and political environment of the times as well as the romantic interludes. Thanks for reading my short (and hopefully, "non-spoiler") review. See ya next time!!

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue May 31st, 2022, 5:33 pm

Started Elizabeth of York: the Last White Rose by Alison Weir
The 1st installment in her new "Tudor Rose" series. I've read and own Weir's 2013 biography about Elizabeth of York.

Comparable title I've read and own: The 2009 paperback reissue of The Tudor Rose by Margaret Campbell Barnes, originally published in 1953. The novel opens with Elizabeth of York as a teen and follows her life over the years.

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Tue May 31st, 2022, 8:43 pm

For something different, just finished This Tender Land (1930s) & Ordinary Grace (early 1960s) by William Kent Krueger. Both gems.

Return to “General Discussion”