Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? April 2021

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
princess garnet
Bibliophile

What Are You Reading? April 2021

Post by princess garnet » Fri April 2nd, 2021, 4:25 pm

Share away!

Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey by Abigail Wilson
Set in 1815, Elizabeth Cantrell and her baby son Isaac go to Middlecrest Abbey in southeast Britain. Adrian, Lord Torrington, is an agent of the Crown looking for French spies in the area.
The novel is part of a series since there are events and characters referenced from the author's previous two books. (I hadn't read them) However there's no name to this series!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Re: What Are You Reading? April 2021

Post by Vanessa » Thu April 8th, 2021, 10:08 pm

I’m reading The Dream Weavers by Barbara Erskine via the Pigeonhole app. It’s a time slip story set in 788 AD and 2021 in the Welsh hills of Offa’s Dyke.

I’m also reading The Summoner’s Sin by Keith Moray, a murder mystery set in Yorkshire in 1323.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Fri April 9th, 2021, 8:34 pm

Just finished The Rose Code by Kate Quinn about codebreakers at Bletchley Park, UK during WW2. Liked the book despite not liking 2 of the 3 female lead characters, which I guess is good writing by the author! Prince Phillip (RIP) gets a nice turn in the book. The epilogue was also very touching.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sat April 10th, 2021, 2:02 am

Finished:
A Wicked Conceit by Anna Lee Huber
The new and 9th installment in the "Lady Darby Mysteries" series! The Gages are back in Edinburgh and they're expecting their first child. There's a new book and play about the city's notorious criminal leader Bonnie Brock Kincaid--this doesn't over well with him. When the publisher is found murdered, suspicion falls on Brock Kincaid, and the Gages must find the killer. Meanwhile Kiera is keeping a family secret from Sebastian--something she learned two months earlier in the previous novel A Stroke of Malice.

Beneath the Keep by Erika Johansen
This is the prequel to the "Queen of the Tearling" trilogy. I'd read the trilogy from the library so this novel was a return to that world in an earlier time. It's a well-written story and provides a good background to the trilogy. The novel has graphic scenes/content so this book may not appeal to everyone.

Current: My Calamity Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows (YA)
Think you know Calamity Jane? This mashup novel tells her real story with hunting garous on the side.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue April 20th, 2021, 2:20 am

Finished from the library:
A Moveable Feast: the Restored Edition by Ernest Hemingway (NF)
Hemingway recounts his life in Paris during the 1920s. For US members, the new documentary "Hemingway" by Ken Burns broadcasted on PBS this month.

Queens of the Crusades by Alison Weir (NF)
The new and #2 book in the "England's Medieval Queens" series. It's been 4 years since the 1st volume, Queens of the Conquest, was released!

Clanlands by Sam Heughan and Graham McTavish (NF)
The two "Outlander" lead actors take a road trip throughout their native Scotland, visiting sites in the best selling novels and TV series and more.

The Diabolical Bones by Bella Ellis (pseudonym for Rowan Coleman)
New and #2 novel in the "Bronte Sisters Mysteries" series. The Bronte sisters investigate a murder from 13 years ago at a nearby home.

Now reading: The Widow Queen by Elzbieta Cherezinska, English translation by Maya Zakrewska-Pim
The story of Queen Swietoslawa of Poland, the 1st book in "The Bold" duet. This is the author's first novel to be translated into English outside of her native Poland.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue April 20th, 2021, 8:13 am

I've just started "Dreaming of Italy" by T A Williams, a romance involving an English woman sent to Italy to scout out locations for a movie (tough job). Apparently it does involve a historian, as the movie is set before WW1.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue April 27th, 2021, 8:25 pm

Finishing: A Most English Princess by Clare McHugh
Novel about Vicky, eldest daughter of Victoria and Albert, and Kaiserin of Germany. Her story ends in 1870 with an epilogue set in 1940.

Return to “General Discussion”