Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading Sept. 2019?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
princess garnet
Bibliophile

What Are You Reading Sept. 2019?

Post by princess garnet » Sun September 1st, 2019, 7:40 pm

New thread for the month!
The Library Book by Susan Orlean (NF)

It's being adapted for TV: https://womenandhollywood.com/susan-orl ... ed-for-tv/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Re: What Are You Reading Sept. 2019?

Post by Vanessa » Tue September 3rd, 2019, 1:14 pm

I’m reading The Drowned Woman by Terry Lynn Thomas, the third in the Sarah Bennett supernatural mystery series. I’m also reading The Museum or Broken Promises by Elizabeth Buchan via the Pigeonhole app, some of which is set in Prague during the Cold War.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon September 9th, 2019, 8:12 pm

The Devil's Slave by Tracy Borman
The new and 2nd installment in the Frances Gorge trilogy.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Tue September 10th, 2019, 9:58 pm

I’ve just finished A Single Thread by Tracy Chevalier which I read via the Pigeonhole app. A lovely thoughtful story set during the 1930s about broderers and bellringers. I’ve just started Bone China by Laura Purcell, a gothic tale set in Cornwall.

I’m also reading Becoming by Michelle Obama for my f2f book club. I don’t normally read celebrity biographies so I’m definitely being taken out of my comfort zone! It’s not something I would choose to read myself but I’m finding it quite interesting.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri September 13th, 2019, 8:38 am

I've just started "The Stone Circle" by Elly Griffiths, latest on the Ruth Galloway mystery series set in Norfolk.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Thu September 19th, 2019, 8:58 am

I’ve just finished Bone China by Laura Purcell on Pigeonhole. It’s a dark, atmospheric sort of horror story featuring fairies set in Cornwall during the 1800s. I enjoyed it.

I’m reading The Dressmaker’s Gift by Fiona Valpy which is set in Paris during the 1940s. It’s a dual timeframe story and is mainly about the French Resistance. A very compelling read.

I’m listening to Blood Orange by Harriet Tyce which is a modern psychological thriller. I’m not always very good at listening to books as my concentration wanders off, but I find mysteries and thrillers seem to keep me engaged more. I usually listen to books I’ve read before and really enjoyed - it doesn’t matter if I miss a bit then! Audiobooks keep me company whilst walking the dog.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu September 19th, 2019, 7:31 pm

Finished: Lady of A Thousand Treasures by Sandra Byrd
It's the 1st installment in the "Victorian Ladies" series--a sequel is forthcoming next year

The Weaver's Daughter by Sarah Ladd
In England 1812, a young woman encounters a veteran, who was believed deceased during the Napoleonic Wars, returning home to the village.

Now: Downton Abbey: the Official Film Companion by Emma Marriott (NF)
Got this today ahead of the US premiere of the movie!
Last edited by princess garnet on Fri September 20th, 2019, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri September 20th, 2019, 9:29 am

I've just started the latest in Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series "Lies Sleeping", which promises to delve into London's murky past :o
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “General Discussion”