Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical fiction writing competition

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Augustus I

Historical fiction writing competition

Post by Augustus I » Thu August 1st, 2019, 9:54 am

Is anyone else interested in having their historical fiction published? I have just seen a decent competition by the Historical Writer’s Association and Sharpe Books to win a publishing contract and £500 pounds. There are runners up prizes too. Prize is for an unpublished historical novel.
It says it needs to be between 40,000 and 100,000 words.
Although the entry fee is £20 per manuscript, it looks like a really good way to get your foot in the door. Entrants receive consultation in relation to securing agent and book deal.
I put the link below because I thought some people here would be interested as I have read so many posts from those who have written their own historical fiction.
https://historicalwriters.org/unpublish ... mpetition/
Worth a shot right?!?

LoyalRam
Currently reading: "The War on Alcohol" by Lisa McGirr
Interest in HF: Reading "Isaac's Storm by Erik Larsen was what did it for me. Of course he is telling a story involving real events using real people, but he has to fill in the gaps of what he doesn't know with supposition and smart reasoning as to how a character will respond to situations.
Favourite HF book: "Isaac's Storm"
Preferred HF: I like the late Victorian and Early Edwardian period. Genre? I like mixing magical realism in storis that I write

Re: Historical fiction writing competition

Post by LoyalRam » Sat October 5th, 2019, 2:52 am

It is Augustus. I wonder if they would accept an anthology of historical fiction short stories. My stories use real family from the 1890's and the bones of the stories are true, but I clothe the bones with flesh and muscle with creative use of period history. I have at least 6 short stories that will son be completed in the next few months. I also use magical realism in the stories.... 40,000 minimum? hmmmm

Return to “General Discussion”