Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading November 2017?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Re: What are you reading November 2017?

Post by Madeleine » Thu November 16th, 2017, 10:30 am

I've just read that and really enjoyed it, Vanessa, she was a fascinating woman. I didn't know much about her earlier life so it's a bit of an eye-opener, I think you'll like it.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu November 16th, 2017, 9:32 pm

Death in St. Petersburg by Tasha Alexander
In the 12th and latest installment of the Lady Emily mystery series, Emily and Colin are in St. Petersburg. It's 1900 and Nicholas II is relatively new to the imperial Russian throne.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri November 17th, 2017, 9:37 am

I'm trying to get that book but none of the shops have it, so will probably order it.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri November 17th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Madeleine wrote:I'm trying to get that book but none of the shops have it, so will probably order it.

Have you tried the Book Depository? Sometimes a bit cheaper on there.

https://www.bookdepository.com
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri November 17th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Ive been listening to one of the Great Courses, 'The History of Medieval England from King Arthur to the Tudor Conquest. It's quite a different view from the usual pieces on the individual kings, most of which I'm pretty familiar with. Jennifer Paxton, the historian who teaches the course, not only covers the political goings-on, but the general condition and wealth of the country. Her summation is quite interesting: what makes a 'good' king is not the qualities that we, in our secure world, have come to consider admirable. From the standpoint of the good of the common man, a successful ruler is ruthless and stays on top of his barons, so that the country does not suffer from civil war.

Turns out the the 'War of the Roses' didn't bother the wealth and stability of England much--although it was VERY hard on the ruling class. Nothing like the devastation suffered under Stephen and Matilda. And yes, John was horrible all the way down to the serf level.

Edward I, who broke his word to the mobles regularly, threw out the Jews and was horrible to the Scots and the Welsh, actually did a stellar job of improving the lot of the general Englishman.

And the Black Death ushered in a change for the better at the lower levels of English society--a change to which we may owe our present representative government. When there aren't enough at the bottom, the top has got to give. A lot.

Quite an interesting course.

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Sat November 18th, 2017, 6:24 pm

MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:Ive been listening to one of the Great Courses, 'The History of Medieval England from King Arthur to the Tudor Conquest.
Emily, I love some of those Great Courses. I like the one on the Tudors also. And the Vikings course was excellent, as were the ones I listened to on Egyptian history. I'll have to pull out some of the old ones & give them another listen. Thanks for the reminder!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue November 21st, 2017, 11:09 am

Vanessa wrote:
Madeleine wrote:I'm trying to get that book but none of the shops have it, so will probably order it.

Have you tried the Book Depository? Sometimes a bit cheaper on there.

https://www.bookdepository.com
Yes, full price at the moment though!

Reading another Agatha Raisin book for some light relief, "Pushing up Daisies" - murder on the allotments!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat November 25th, 2017, 9:34 pm

Challenge to Arms by Jennifer Blake. Just what I needed for a book slump. 19C Louisiana. Gorgeous stepback.

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon November 27th, 2017, 9:42 am

I've just started "Hotel du Lac" by Anita Brookner, and "The Mistletoe Murders" by P D James - 4 short stories.

Return to “General Discussion”