Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Are you in a book group?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Are you in a book group?

Post by red805 » Sat September 16th, 2017, 8:21 pm

I just joined a Meetup book group & I was wondering what experiences any of you have had in book groups. I've never been in one before. This group is targeted at women in my county & involves wine, so it sounded fun. The blurb says they read sci fi, YA, & other genres that I normally don't read, but I thought I would give it a try. Maybe I can suggest a historical fiction book. Any advice for a book group newbie?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: Are you in a book group?

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun September 17th, 2017, 5:28 am

I have been in 3 book groups, though I'm not in one currently. The latest we called the W.I.E.R.D. group--which stands for 'what everyone is reading discussion group. There were 5-8 of us, and we took turns choosing the book, with the understanding that it had to be well-known or a current bestseller. That was very useful to me as a writer, because I was forced outside my normal choices to see the range of what appealed to a large number of readers.

I like the social aspect of the last group, we were all friendly and our differences were fun. Although the social aspect was the reason I DIDN'T like one of the other groups. There were a couple personalities that annoyed me to the point where I found myself not wanting to go--so I stopped.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun September 17th, 2017, 10:46 am

My old book group, which gradually dwindled due to lack of interest on the organiser's part, and no one else wanting to take it over, was fun while it lasted - we met in a pub and spent most of the time talking about food! Bit they were a nice bunch over all, and the social aspect was good (albeit a bit "cliquey"). Yours sounds promising so give it a go, and see if you can get an idea of what the other members are interested in.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

ellisael
Scribbler
Currently reading: Vegetarian
Interest in HF: I am interested in the stories of colonisation rn
Favourite HF book: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Preferred HF: Mughal Era

Post by ellisael » Wed June 16th, 2021, 10:28 am

my improv grou has monthly reading sessions :)

Return to “General Discussion”