Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading July 2017

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
FredQ
Technical Librarian
Currently reading: The Templars, Two Kings and a Pope
Interest in HF: I like how HF can fill in the gaps where we don't have enough information.
Preferred HF: Everything about the Knights Templars

Re: What are you reading July 2017

Post by FredQ » Sun July 9th, 2017, 1:28 pm

Since I really liked the first book of the series The Accursed Kings, I'm now starting the second one: The Strangled Queen by Maurice Druon

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon July 10th, 2017, 8:34 am

I've just started a golden oldie, "The Ivy Tree" by Mary Stewart.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon July 10th, 2017, 3:29 pm

Madeleine wrote:I've just started a golden oldie, "The Ivy Tree" by Mary Stewart.
It's definitely a golden oldie on my bookshelf!

I'm reading Their Finest by Lissa Evans.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue July 11th, 2017, 1:32 am

Just started After Rome by Morgan Llywelyn.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue July 11th, 2017, 3:50 pm

Emma: A Victorian Romance by Kaoru Mori, English translation by Sheldon Drzka

I enjoyed reading this YA historical fiction manga series so I'm borrowing it from the library again. The story opens in late 1890s London; William Jones meets his old governess's maid Emma.
The series was originally published in Japan and is now available in a 5 volume omnibus set.

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Tue July 11th, 2017, 6:56 pm

Working on a couple good books now - The Cruelest Month (Inspector Gamache book 3) by Louise Penny & The Prisoner by Alex Berenson. I didn't know The Prisoner was number 15 or so in books about the same character, so I just bought book 1, The Faithful Spy for next up. I hate to go out of order! :lol:

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed July 12th, 2017, 8:37 am

I have The Cruellest Month lined up, trying to work my way through this series as well.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed July 12th, 2017, 11:31 am

Madeleine wrote:I have The Cruellest Month lined up, trying to work my way through this series as well.
I read myself through the Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series Nov. 2016-Feb. 2017. Love them! There is a new one being published on August 29. One of these days I see a road trip to the Eastern Townships of Quebec coming. It's about 450 miles from me, a day's drive.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Wed July 12th, 2017, 6:00 pm

Susan wrote:
Madeleine wrote:I have The Cruellest Month lined up, trying to work my way through this series as well.
I read myself through the Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series Nov. 2016-Feb. 2017. Love them! There is a new one being published on August 29. One of these days I see a road trip to the Eastern Townships of Quebec coming. It's about 450 miles from me, a day's drive.
Susan, if you see three pine trees together make sure you get a photo!

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed July 12th, 2017, 7:56 pm

red805 wrote:
Susan wrote:
Susan, if you see three pine trees together make sure you get a photo!
I will indeed!

There was a piece about Louise Penny on CBS Sunday Morning. She posted it to her Facebook page and the link is below. It's a really nice piece, about 7 minutes. http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-world ... ise-penny/
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “General Discussion”