Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Setting and Dialect

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Setting and Dialect

Post by Rowan » Wed May 10th, 2017, 1:12 pm

You know, I don't mind dialogue written in dialect - if the author uses the correct dialect for the setting of his/her story. Nor do I think dialect-style words work in the narration part of any story. I'm trying to figure out, then, why the author if this particular book I'm reading has Scandinavians speaking like they have a Scottish accent. The story is set during the post-Roman occupation of Britain (Dark Ages? I forget), but I'm not understanding why the author has chosen to make Scandinavians sound Scottish.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: Setting and Dialect

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed May 10th, 2017, 2:07 pm

I would guess that the TV production of Outlander has something to do with it.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed May 10th, 2017, 3:59 pm

How so?

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Thu May 11th, 2017, 12:17 am

Is the author Scottish? Do you have any examples?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu May 11th, 2017, 8:35 am

Some of the Scottish islands had Scandinavian settlements eg Jarlshof on Shetland, so maybe that's why? Where is the book set?
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu May 11th, 2017, 9:56 pm

Some of the Scottish islands were still Danish until the reign of James III. They came to him as his wife's dowry (most of which remained unpaid).
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “General Discussion”