Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

World War One Novels. Any Recommendations?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

World War One Novels. Any Recommendations?

Post by SCW » Fri September 30th, 2016, 9:46 am

Hello

For a long time I have always preferred reading about WW2 to WW1. However I recently watched an excellent (albeit depressing) series called The Village. It was set during the first world war and I would just like to know if anyone can recommend any novels during this time?

Much appreciated.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: World War One Novels. Any Recommendations?

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri September 30th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Try The Passing Bells. It's the first of a trilogy, haven't gotten around to the others, but I thought the first was very good indeed.
(Maybe the reason I only read the first was that, at the time, it was OOP, and I stumbled across a library copy.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri September 30th, 2016, 5:50 pm

Robert Graves' Goodbye to All That in part covers his experiences during WWI -- not actually sure it counts as a novel.

Siegfried Sassoon's Memoirs of an Infantry Officer.

Vera Brittain's Testament of Youth.

As MLE mentioned above, Pat Barker's Regeneration triology.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Fri September 30th, 2016, 9:38 pm

I liked the first book in Ken Follett's Century trilogy, Fall of Giants.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri September 30th, 2016, 11:49 pm

Jennifer Robson's three novels deal with WWI and its aftermath: Somewhere in France, After the War is Over, and Moonlight Over Paris. The second and third novels each take a minor character from one of the previous novels and makes her the protagonist. I liked the second and third book better than the first.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Sat October 1st, 2016, 1:12 am

Thanks for the recommendations. I will certainly have a look for them all.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat October 1st, 2016, 7:28 am

SCW wrote:Hello
However I recently watched an excellent (albeit depressing) series called The Village.
It had a sterling cast. Anything with Maxine Peake tends to be worthwhile.

SCW
Avid Reader

Post by SCW » Sat October 1st, 2016, 7:55 am

It was very well acted, especially the guy who played Joe Middleton.

I had no idea servants faced the wall when the Squire came down...More realistic showing of the relationship between master and servant than Downton Abbey.

Though I did love Downton as well.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat October 1st, 2016, 2:56 pm

I second the rec on The Passing Bells. The second in the trilogy was good as well, DNF on the third which was WWII. https://www.goodreads.com/series/59229-passing-bells

Goodreads has a list going, https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9427.The_Great_War
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat October 1st, 2016, 4:58 pm

SCW wrote:I had no idea servants faced the wall when the Squire came down.
Something of a generalisation. It implies a homogenity of local customs and practices which has never really existed, at least in the English part of the UK. There were so many variables which affected the relationship of masters and servants that there is no one rule which fits all.

Of course, WWI changed everything (and nothing), particularly for women who were now desperately needed for work outside the home. Hence the deal the Suffragettes did with the Liberal government which meant they were, to a limited extent, included in the extension of the franchise after the conclusion of hostilities.

Return to “General Discussion”