Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading February 2016

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

What are you reading February 2016

Post by Misfit » Thu February 4th, 2016, 3:27 pm

Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly. Slow progress, and not to blame the book. Work is crazy still and by the time I get home the never-ending saga in SE Oregon is very distracting. The Oregonian has had excellent and very fair coverage, but the comments on the stories...pure gold. Today is unseal the indictment day ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: What are you reading February 2016

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu February 4th, 2016, 5:30 pm

I am still on the Whiskey Rebels as an audiobook. It's going very slowly, because mostly I'm listening to NF, Your Brain At Work, by David Rock. An absolutely fascinating examination of the latest research in neuroscience. I would have killed to know this stuff back in the 70s,during all those psychology classes. Better, I wish my professors had this knowledge. I sensed bakc then that what I was being taught was wrong, and now the wonders of Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging mapping--watching which areas of the brain light up when working on various problems--are washing away the crapload of misinformation which used to be ingested for a degree in sociology.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri February 5th, 2016, 12:11 am

Still reading The Werewolf of Bamberg (The Hangman's Daughter #5) by Oliver Pötzsch which takes place in 17th century Bavaria.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Fri February 5th, 2016, 1:47 am

American Queen by John Oller
A biography of Kate Chase Sprague who was a prominent society lady and hostess from the Civil War to Gilded Age.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper & "A Christmas Railway Mystery" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri February 5th, 2016, 4:42 pm

About 100 pages from finishing "Winter Siege" and now I'm really enjoying it, although early on it nearly hit the wall at the travesty of the "hammers and anvils" scene. However I really like Maud, Penda and Gwil, and although some of the writing and dialogue still jars a bit, I'm finding it a rollicking read and I actually care about what happens to the characters. And Alan of Ghent is rather swoonsome ;) :D

I'm also enjoying my other read, "Murder at Mansfield Park", which also got off to a slow start and reminded me why Mansfield Park is probably my least favourite Austen. However once the story really gets going the pace picks up, I've read Lynn Shepherd's other Charles Maddox books and like his character, and the book has got much better.
Currently reading "The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper & "A Christmas Railway Mystery" by Edward Marston

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri February 5th, 2016, 8:37 pm

Just started The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Chellyfish

Post by Chellyfish » Sat February 6th, 2016, 3:02 am

Found an old copy of a book called POUR THE DARK WINE. It was published in the 1950s. Author is Dinah Lampitt. I believe she also writes as Deryn Lake.

The book is about Queen Jane Seymour and her brothers, Thomas and Edward. It really turns out to be a Seymour family saga. This was a completely random find. When I google, search goodreads or amazon there are about 10 fictional titles featuring Seymour. This wasn't listed in any of those places. Wonder how much more is out there about Jane and Anne of Cleves. Those two seem to have the fewest titles but there just might be more out there. I'd appreciate any recommendations for titles on the "lesser queens" (meaning not the heavily covered Boleyn and Aragon not lesser as in less than).

Anyway, I enjoyed the read. The book was old fashioned but Jane had a real personality here. Book ended with Mary Tudor taking the thrown after Edward's death. There was a bizarre twist with the young Elizabeth that I have never ever heard before but I won't spoil it here.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sat February 6th, 2016, 11:57 am

Chellyfish wrote:Found an old copy of a book called POUR THE DARK WINE. It was published in the 1950s. Author is Dinah Lampitt. I believe she also writes as Deryn Lake.
A number of her books have been rereleased recently under the Deryn Lake name, including Pour the Dark Wine.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat February 6th, 2016, 9:46 pm

Chellyfish wrote:Found an old copy of a book called POUR THE DARK WINE. It was published in the 1950s. Author is Dinah Lampitt. I believe she also writes as Deryn Lake.

The book is about Queen Jane Seymour and her brothers, Thomas and Edward. It really turns out to be a Seymour family saga. This was a completely random find. When I google, search goodreads or amazon there are about 10 fictional titles featuring Seymour. This wasn't listed in any of those places. Wonder how much more is out there about Jane and Anne of Cleves. Those two seem to have the fewest titles but there just might be more out there. I'd appreciate any recommendations for titles on the "lesser queens" (meaning not the heavily covered Boleyn and Aragon not lesser as in less than).

Anyway, I enjoyed the read. The book was old fashioned but Jane had a real personality here. Book ended with Mary Tudor taking the thrown after Edward's death. There was a bizarre twist with the young Elizabeth that I have never ever heard before but I won't spoil it here.
I've been eyeing that one via Kindle Unlimited. I read one other by her recently (the titles escapes me, but I think I started an author thread here), but I enjoyed it a lot. That one had a time slip element to it as well.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Chellyfish

Post by Chellyfish » Sat February 6th, 2016, 10:34 pm

Thank you, Misfit.

I just looked up your thread. I am reading Sutton Place now. Just started this morning.

Always exciting to find a new author. Maureen Peters is another new one for me. Came across her titles in the same discarded pile of books where I found POUR THE DARK WINE.

Return to “General Discussion”