Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading September 2015

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Hidden" by Linda Gillard
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Re: What are you reading September 2015

Post by Madeleine » Tue September 15th, 2015, 6:36 pm

SCW wrote:I was going to read The Taming of the Queen, but decided against borrowing it. Instead an old classic, Jane Eyre. Which I prefer to Wuthering Heights. (shock horror)
Oh me too, I much prefer Jane Eyre, sorry but I can't see the attraction of Heathcliff at all :confused: .

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue September 15th, 2015, 6:38 pm

MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:I'm still slogging through 19th-century nonfiction on Charles V. The writing is unbelievably ponderous--average sentence length about 90 words! And I've caught the writer in several factual mistakes.

On the lighter side, I picked up Mary Stewart's debut novel, Madam Will You Talk. It is interesting to see how her style has matured. In this one, she's tossing out references right and left to things which must have been news in the '40s but are complete bafflement now. All her characters appear to be chain-smokers and incipient alcoholics.
Oh yes, I couldn't believe the amount of smoking in my first Stewart (Wildfire at Midnight, still my favourite of hers so far).

My current read, This Rough Magic, isn't quite so smoke-filled.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue September 15th, 2015, 9:32 pm

I prefer Jane Eyre too. When I first read it, I thought the attic mystery was going somewhere different. Wuthering Heights was alright, but I didn't like the main characters. The second generation was okay.

What are the books that follow 'Little Men'?
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Wed September 16th, 2015, 9:33 am

Nefret wrote:I prefer Jane Eyre too. When I first read it, I thought the attic mystery was going somewhere different. Wuthering Heights was alright, but I didn't like the main characters. The second generation was okay.

What are the books that follow 'Little Men'?
I didn't like the main characters of WH at all :o personally I thought they were a pair of seriously unhinged individuals (Heathcliff especially), however it is wonderfully atmospheric and the bit where the gentleman who's given shelter at the beginning thinks he sees Cathy's ghost still makes me shiver.

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Wed September 16th, 2015, 11:45 am

I am glad I am not alone in preferring Jane Eyre to Wuthering Heights. I do love both of them, but Jane Eyre has always been my favourite. I also think the adaptations of Charlotte Bronte's novel translate better on the screen than the other book ever did.

Am now reading Game of Thrones book 3.2 Storm of swords. Just finished the part where Tyrion Lannister claims that Kings are dying like flies or some such quote.
Methinks one could say the same for Australian Prime Ministers.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Wed September 16th, 2015, 1:05 pm

SCW wrote:I am glad I am not alone in preferring Jane Eyre to Wuthering Heights. I do love both of them, but Jane Eyre has always been my favourite. I also think the adaptations of Charlotte Bronte's novel translate better on the screen than the other book ever did.
Am now reading Game of Thrones book 3.2 Storm of swords. Just finished the part where Tyrion Lannister claims that Kings are dying like flies or some such quote.
Methinks one could say the same for Australian Prime Ministers.
Yes, I don't think there's been a really good version of WH yet, some have been downright atrocious - let's not even mention the Ralph Fiennes/ Juliette Binoche version :o

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed September 16th, 2015, 4:49 pm

You guys are making me to read Villette, since I re-read Jane Eyre earlier this year.

When I first read Jane Eyre...
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu September 17th, 2015, 12:17 am

Nefret wrote:What are the books that follow 'Little Men'?
Jo's Boys (1886) That's the 3rd and final book about the March family.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu September 17th, 2015, 8:38 am

Nefret wrote:You guys are making me to read Villette, since I re-read Jane Eyre earlier this year.

When I first read Jane Eyre...
I'm sure someone, somewhere, has written a werewolf take on Jane Eyre! ;) or Wuthering Heights.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu September 17th, 2015, 10:13 am

Just finished "Lust for Life" by Irving Stone, his 1934 novel about Vincent Van Gogh - really, really fantastic.

I'm very tempted to watch the 1956 film of the same name based on the novel, starring Kirk Douglas. But I think I'll leave it for a while, in order not to get the two portrayals muddled in my mind.

Return to “General Discussion”