Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

December 2014- What are you reading?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon December 15th, 2014, 6:44 pm

The carts are just a vague memory to me. Dad worked for the airlines so us kiddos were flying at a very young age. There's some family story about me getting lost at O'Hare airport and a panicked search, but I don't recall it a bit.

It's so nice in Washington State nowadays, smoking's pretty much banned everywhere, even in the bars. Workers wanting to step outside for a smoke have to go a certain number of feet away from the doorways to do it, so people going in and out don't have to face walking through it.

Back to what I've been reading. I've just blown through three books by Aleen Malcolm (why are these OOP?). All Highland settings, and all with old skool elements that might not appeal to all readers (if Jamie spanking Claire in Outlander was not acceptable, these are not the books for you), but if you like non-stop stories with wild twists and turns (oh my that crumbling mansion in the one), these might suit.

Children of the Mist (stand alone)
The Taming and Ride out the Storm. The latter half of RotS ends up in Colonial America, 1762-1763, Fort Detroit. I couldn't put it down, my only complaint was taking too long to wrap up the HEA at the end.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Over Sea, Under Stone" by Susan Cooper & "The Christmas Egg" by Mary Kelly
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon December 15th, 2014, 8:20 pm

[QUOTE=Miss Moppet;118147]Yes, I remember smoking on planes. They had non-smoking sections but if you were sitting right next to the smoking section, it didn't make any difference. I was once seated right next to the smoking section with my mother, who was ill with cancer which had spread to her lung. There was a man behind us who was chain smoking all through the 3 hour flight. We had to be moved to the jumpseats at the back of the plane because my mother was about to pass out from the smoke and they had to have a wheelchair waiting for her when we got to our destination.

I remember too, at my first job no smoking was allowed in the office during the day but they all lit up after hours (which was also when the air conditioning shut off, oh joy). Don't think that would be allowed now. Oh, and they smoked in the meeting rooms too. It was only the 90s but it seems like Mad Men, looking back![/QUOTE}

I remember being stuck at the back of a 747 all the way to New York (in the late 80s), where everybody came to smoke, lovely. And the cinemas used to be half smoking, half non-smoking, so all the smoke would drift over to the non section, so it made no difference having the separate areas.
Currently reading "Over Sea, Under Stone" by Susan Cooper & "The Christmas Egg" by Mary Kelly

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue December 16th, 2014, 1:16 am

Sticking with Brother Cadfael...The Potter's Field by Ellis Peters
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue December 16th, 2014, 8:04 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""] And the cinemas used to be half smoking, half non-smoking, so all the smoke would drift over to the non section, so it made no difference having the separate areas.[/quote]

That's right! I'd forgotten that. Back in the day, when films still had intervals and the usherette would come out front with a tray of Cornettos.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Over Sea, Under Stone" by Susan Cooper & "The Christmas Egg" by Mary Kelly

Post by Madeleine » Fri December 19th, 2014, 9:22 am

I've just started "The Mistletoe Bride" by Kate Mosse, a collection of short stories.
Currently reading "Over Sea, Under Stone" by Susan Cooper & "The Christmas Egg" by Mary Kelly

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri December 19th, 2014, 4:06 pm

I'm reading one of Susan Howatch's older gothics, The Shrouded Walls.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri December 19th, 2014, 6:02 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I'm reading one of Susan Howatch's older gothics, The Shrouded Walls.[/quote]

I'll be interested to see what you think! I'd like to try one of those but they're harder to get hold of than the sagas. Hoping they'll find their way onto Kindle soon.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri December 19th, 2014, 6:14 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]I'll be interested to see what you think! I'd like to try one of those but they're harder to get hold of than the sagas. Hoping they'll find their way onto Kindle soon.[/quote]

It's very much like a Victoria Holt. Brooding, angsty hero (I think he's the hero - ya never know). I have an omnibus edition I picked up at some yard sale several years ago, also includes The Dark Shore, The Waiting Sands, April's Grave and The Devil on Lammas Night.

I suppose I should mosey over to the Amazon pages and click the 'I'd like to see this book on Kindle' button.

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Fri December 19th, 2014, 7:42 pm

Any one else reading MURDER AT THE BRIGHTWELL (Ashley Weaver)? Not my usual genre but I'm enjoying it. Here's the info on Amazon if you wish to check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/Murder-at-Brightw ... 125004636X
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri December 19th, 2014, 8:11 pm

Think I've got The Dark Shore somewhere on mount tbr.

Return to “General Discussion”