Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? August 2014

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat August 2nd, 2014, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Susan
The first battle started on August 4, so let's see if there is a mention in between the Israel/Gaza and Russia/Ukraine news. We always DVR BBC World News from BBC America and learn much more by watching that 30 minute show than from hours of CNN. I bet the BBC will mention it. On August 4, the British royals are going to commemorations all over: http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...morations.aspx
Originally Posted by Misfit
We were talking about this a few months ago at Goodreads. One friend is in the UK and said there were a lot a special programs planned leading up to the anniversary.
On August 4, 1914, the US declared its neutrality and did not enter World War I until April 6, 1917, so perhaps that is why the media coverage has been low key. Here's an American website that has some centennial information: World War I Centennial Network
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon August 4th, 2014, 3:12 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]And I'll bet there's no mention of it on the news :(

I loathed Pillars. Will never pick up another by him.[/quote]

I have felt that way too but have been encouraged time and time again to pick it up. Maybe one day!

Spent the weekend engrossed in both Erskine novels-literally spent most of the weekend (and way past midnight) reading both House of Echos and Midnight-finished both and am now lost....must have more Erskine novels around here some place.
Brenna

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon August 4th, 2014, 5:59 pm

I'm reading a NF, "Bosworth: The Birth of the Tudors" by Chris Skidmore. It's okay so far, nothing new. I understand the last third or so of the book is the original stuff on the battle itself.
But the rest of the book so far seems to be a reasonably good rehash of telling the story till that point from Henry VI's accession onwards. I've spotted some careless errors and generally sloppy writing and/or editing so far.
It's mostly from quite recent secondary sources, but every now and then he throws in a figure (such as how much it cost a duke to hire the horse that took him from one place to another and the name of the groom he hired at a local inn). It's all a little pointless and does nothing to add to the narrative, other than to say: Hey, I found a primary source! He won't do anything like that for 25 pages, and then he'll throw another one in...

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Dark Sacred Night by Michael Connelly
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon August 4th, 2014, 7:13 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]I have felt that way too but have been encouraged time and time again to pick it up. Maybe one day!

Spent the weekend engrossed in both Erskine novels-literally spent most of the weekend (and way past midnight) reading both House of Echos and Midnight-finished both and am now lost....must have more Erskine novels around here some place.[/quote]

Hiding from the Light is another good one - witches as well as ghosts ;)
Currently reading: Dark Sacred Night by Michael Connelly

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue August 5th, 2014, 12:57 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Hiding from the Light is another good one - witches as well as ghosts ;) [/quote]

My library has that on CD and I put a hold on it. Hopefully the narrator is a good one because we all know that makes a huge difference. That the last remaining Erskine my library has that I haven't read...trying to figure out how I can request they get others....

Reading Nora Robert's The Witness. Also a library book...
Brenna

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Tue August 5th, 2014, 1:11 pm

Just finished 'Girt - The unauthorised biography of Australia'. Now reading 'The Exiles' by William Stuart Long - story about The First Fleet. Lots of Rum and Floggings.

Artasuli
Scribbler

Shadow of war, stewart Binns

Post by Artasuli » Tue August 5th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Shadow of War byStewart Binns. I bought this with some trepidation as I really did not like his book on hereward. Took a bit of getting into. The personal stories don't always ring true. But now liking the detail he's putting into it. Specifically the early days of the war in Belgium. The notes are also very detailed. Get the feeling Mr Binns would do better as a writer of non fiction.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Wed August 6th, 2014, 1:19 pm

I'm reading The Oath-Takers by Naomi Mitchison.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed August 6th, 2014, 11:01 pm

I just found this while sorting... Kingdom of the Grail by Judith Tarr
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu August 7th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Sworn Sword by James Aitcheson. Doing quite a bit of skimming as the description is repetitive without a lot of narrative but still good.
Brenna

Return to “General Discussion”