Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

July 2014. What are you reading?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Prof.Hirata
Scribbler

Post by Prof.Hirata » Sun July 27th, 2014, 10:22 pm

I am reading already the forth novel by Jean-Francois Parot, the contemporary French author of historic mysteries. This is a series laid in pre-Revolutionary France, starting from 1760. The main hero is a Parisian policemen Nicolas Le Flosh, who investigates various murders, many of them having to do with the courts of Louis XV and XVI, so it's a kind of detective stories with thick historical background. What I immensely enjoy is a sea of period details, starting from food recipes, clothes, manners, descriptions of Paris etc. It's picturesque and relaxing, strange as it may seem when it comes to murder stories. Some say these details are redundant and the plots are weak, but that's the matter of opinion and then again it varies from to book to book.
I have managed the following titles: "The Chatelet Apprentice", "The Man with the Lead Stomach", "Le fantome de la rue Royale", "L'affaire Nicolas Le Floch". Anyone tried this author?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Dark Sacred Night by Michael Connelly
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon July 28th, 2014, 8:33 am

I have all these books but haven't read them yet! Glad you like them, I like the idea of the setting.

I've just started "The Time of Singing" by Elizabeth Chadwick.
Currently reading: Dark Sacred Night by Michael Connelly

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon July 28th, 2014, 10:55 am

Last two books were HF. "Augustus" by John Williams - reasonably good. "The City of Thieves" by David Benioff - excellent.

I have a non-fiction book on the last days of the Russian aristocracy that I'm going through slowly when I have a window.

I've put that aside again to read a contemporary novel for a book group: "The Fault in our Stars"........

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon July 28th, 2014, 3:12 pm

The Lost Sisterhood by Anne Fortier. The beginning was fantastic and had me hooked-the middle has been ok...hoping the end picks up!
Brenna

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon July 28th, 2014, 4:42 pm

Re-reading The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon July 28th, 2014, 5:36 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]Re-reading The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas[/quote]

I love that book. Still working on Teresa Grant's The Berkeley Square Affair, s*** is going to start hitting the fan any page now.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue July 29th, 2014, 3:20 pm

Finished The Last Kingdom and started the next in the series The Pale Horseman--classic Bernard Cornwell adventure fiction. Also started a "novel" titled The Romances of George Sand. Not impressed so far--horrible cover, frequent typos, lifeless writing, and wooden dialog. I would have dumped it after 30 pages, but since it's an ARC, I feel an obligation to continue for another chapter or two. If it doesn't pick up, it goes into the DNF pile.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue July 29th, 2014, 5:24 pm

Currently reading The Wind Is Not A River by Brian Payton (Aleutian Islands, WWII). I'm always on the look-out for unusual war fiction and grabbed this when it was on sale as a Kindle bargain book for apparently one day only a few weeks ago. I've also started a library book: A Vision of Light by Judith Merkle Riley.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue July 29th, 2014, 7:47 pm

I just finished What the Heart Keeps by Rosalind Laker. The beginning was promising, but about half-way through the story devolved into a long string of narrative punctuated now and then by a scene or two. It seemed rushed, like the author had a publishing deadline to meet or else! I felt like the back half of the book was still in outline, waiting to be written.
Maybe she just bit off too long a period to do justice to--from about 1900 to mid-depression.
Good thing I only paid $0.99 for the ebook.
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Tue July 29th, 2014, 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed July 30th, 2014, 9:36 am

I'm reading An Unhallowed Grave by Kate Ellis, third in the Wesley Peterson murder mystery series which have a historic link.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “General Discussion”