Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

It's June, what are you reading this month?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu June 12th, 2014, 12:49 am

I'm reading I shall be near to you, and I'm digging it right now. :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Thu June 12th, 2014, 8:55 am

I've got I Shall be Near to You on my kindle......looks good!

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu June 12th, 2014, 11:21 pm

Finished:
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
There was supposed to be a movie adaptation of the novel but nothing has come of it. For those who have traveled to eastern Europe and/or familiar with Orthodox Christianity, this novel features that as part of the characters' travels.

Maryland Legends by Trevor J. Blank and David J. Puglia (NF)
Folklore around Maryland

Now: Old Friends & New Fancies by Sybil G. Brinton
This was the original Jane Austen sequel(s) novel published in 1914
Last edited by princess garnet on Thu June 12th, 2014, 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri June 13th, 2014, 4:11 am

Under the Black Flag- The Romance and Reality of Life Among the Pirates by David Cordingly

(It pretty much jumped off the school library book shelf into my hand)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri June 13th, 2014, 11:13 am

I'm just about to start I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson and as the title suggests, it has something to do with David Cassidy (I was such a fan in the 1970s!! :o ).
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri June 13th, 2014, 11:31 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]I'm just about to start I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson and as the title suggests, it has something to do with David Cassidy (I was such a fan in the 1970s!! :o ).[/quote]

I've got this one as well - and bought it for probably exactly the same reason you did ;) Swoon!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri June 13th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Just finished Kate Forsyth's Wild Girl, a dark, evocative tale set around the the Grimm Brothers collection of fairytales and folklore. The time frame moves from 1805 to 1824, a period of war, chaos, famine and bloody violence as the armies of Napoleon, the states of the disintegrating Holy Roman Empire and Russia sweep backwards and forwards across the small principality of Cassell in Germany; the events as seen through the eyes of Dortchen Wild, whose family are neighbours to the Grimm family.

Dortchen's story is full of the magic of the natural world, terror, trauma, the battle with sinfulness reflecting Christianity's conquest over pagan lore, and the power of love and constancy expressed so vividly in the old Germanic fairytales. Recommended. Warning: does contain elements of sexual abuse.
Last edited by annis on Fri June 13th, 2014, 9:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Fri June 13th, 2014, 11:25 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I've got this one as well - and bought it for probably exactly the same reason you did ;) Swoon![/quote]

Ha Ha! Lots of us old David Cassidy fans out here it sounds like. I was a big fan until I actually saw him filming something on my college campus back in the day, & saw that he would fit into a women's size 4 or so. After that he didn't seem so dreamy to me!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat June 14th, 2014, 1:11 am

Another old DC fan here.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat June 14th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Still working on the Oscar Wilde bio, but added The Golden Dice for commuting.
Last edited by fljustice on Wed June 18th, 2014, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “General Discussion”